John Snow, Inc (JSI)
Deadline of this Job:
23rd September, 2016.
POSITION: Technical Director (MCSP MNCH project)
LOCATION: Kampala, Uganda
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Full Time
TIME FRAME: November 1. 2016 to March 36.2018
SUPERVISOR: Chief of Party (MCSP)
John Snow, Inc (JSI) is recruiting for a Technical Director (TD) lead implementation of MCSP’s Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health (MNCH) interventions that lead to sustainable improvements maternal, neonatal and adolescent indicators selected districts of the Eastern Region of Uganda.
The Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP) is a global U.S. Agency for international Development (USAID) cooperative agreement to introduce and support high-impact health interventions in 24 priority countries with the ultimate goal of ending preventable child and maternal deaths (EPCMD) within a generation. MCSP engages governments, policymakers, private sector leaders, health care providers, civil society, faith-based organizations and communities in adopting and accelerating proven approaches to address the major causes of maternal. newborn and child mortality and improve the quality of health services from household to hospital.
The TD will work closely with MOH and select districts in Eastern Region to support implementation of the MNCH Sharpened Plan to roll out a package of low cost, high impact, evidence based MNCH interventions that can be applied at different levels of health care that can contribute to reduction in maternal newborn and child mortality. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda with backstop support from the Washington, DC headquarters office.
The Technical Director will work with and report to the Chief of Party (COP) In managing the program's activities at the national level and in the selected districts and other immunization and health partners. The TD will ﬁll the role of the COP in his/her absence and assist in communication with the MOH. JSI headquarters, program partners and donors.
- Provide programmatic leadership for, and oversee planning of activities in support of the program goals and objectives
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for the implementation of MCSP MNCH program, including meeting operational targets and achieving or exceeding performance objectives
- Coordinate the work of all MCSP technical team members, the Ministry of Health (MOH), professional organizations, other USAID implementing partners, and other key stakeholders in Eastern Region such as NGOs and CSOs, to ensure effective technical assistance and the smooth implementation of activities
- Advise counterparts on technical issues and participate in relevant advisory and/or technical working groups with counterparts and partner institutions in development, adaptation and operationalization of national guidelines and policies
- Provide leadership in the design of MNCH interventions, ensuring that interventions are technically sound, evidence-based, and are sustainable
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified technical staff and align their efforts in concert with program goals to ensure rapid and suitable results.
- Will supervise three Team Leads (Maternal, adolescent/Neonatal and Child Health, respectively)
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Ensure technical compliance with USAID rules and regulation
- Provide support to ensure quality of facility-based MNCH services through site assessments, training/mentoring of service providers, and ongoing QA support
- Provide support to ensure quality of community-based MNCH services
- Support and guide MCSP monitoring/ evaluation activities
- Write donor reports, work plans, strategic plans and other program—related documents in a timely manner and provide prompt feedback to donor requests for information
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor
- Medical Doctor required; MPH or advanced degree preferred
- Ability to represent USAID's Maternal and Child Survival Program at high level l j
- Extensive (10+) years of experience working in Uganda in MNCH and nutrition, with community focus, knowledge of and experience working in collaboration with MOH, international and local donor agencies and program implementing organizations (NGOs).
- Knowledge of major MNCH best practices as well as implementation of RMNCH programs in Uganda.
- Demonstrated skills in collaborative engagement, program planning, knowledge management, facilitation, networking and communication.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and supervisory skills, Inspiring teamwork and motivating staff and partners to achieve results
- In-depth knowledge of USAID programs, regulations, compliance and reporting
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Experience working at national level on health policy, technical guidelines and program implementation
- Excellent writing, data collection, analysis and reporting skills
- Excellent facilitation, oral and written communications skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to Eastern Region up to 50% of time
Job application procedure
This position will be hired by JSl, Please send CV and cover letter to MCSUgandaHR@jsi.com with the words "MNCH Technical Director" as the e—mail subject. JSI offers competitive salary and benefits. Deadline is 23rd September, 2016. Only short listed candidates will be notified.
JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualiﬁed applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status. gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
Deadline of this Job:
23rd September, 2016.