2 Senior Project Engineers
Rural Electrification Agency (REA)
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday 16th November, 2017 at 5:00pm
- The Government of Uganda (GoU) has received financing from the international Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank in the amount of US$135 million equivalent towards the cost of Uganda Energy for Rural Transformation Phase Ill (ERT ill) and it intends to apply part of the proceeds to payments for consulting services to be procured under the project. The Project Development Objective of ERT III Project is to increase access to electricity in rural areas of Uganda.
- Under the ERT III project, REA will be responsible tor implementation of component 1 and subcomponent 2.4. Component 1 (On-grid Energy Access) shall support on-grid investments namely; (i) Grid Extension and Associated Connections; (ii) Grid intensification and Associated Connections; (m) Household Connections from Existing Lines and (iv) implementation Support for On-grid Energy Access. Subcomponent 2.4 (Quality Assurance for Solar Market Development) will be implemented in collaboration with the UNBS and it aims to promote quality assurance and awareness of solar products so as to enable the market for affordable, high-quality PV products in rural areas.
REA is seeking to recruit individuals of high integrity, dedication and commitment for the following position whose details can be viewed and obtained on the Procurement Notice Board at REA Offices and on www.rea.or.ug
Post: 2 Senior Project Engineers
The primary purpose of the Senior Project Engineer will be to oversee the implementation of electricity distribution network extension and intensification works for tire different World Bank-funded activities under the ERT III project country wide. He/she will represent REA in the management of distribution network extension intensification projects and will be REA’s liaison person with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth and effective project implementation.
Scope of the assignment/ Key Responsibilities
- Contract Management which involves submission, veriﬁcation and certification of securities; scheduling timely site handover; timely submission and filing of reports. programmes and key contractual deliverables throughout implementation period; to review. update and approve reports and deliverables throughout the implementation period hence ensuring contract effectiveness; and reporting compliance and completeness of key reporting requirements and deliverables.
- To supervise construction work for quality compliance by ensuring supply and use of quality materials as per contract, ensure adherence to good engineering practices with reference to the contract and the engineering memorandum, and to review and recommend change orders and or instructions.
- To represent REA in the management of rural electrification projects through stakeholder identification and involvement and to ensure participation of key stake holders during project implementation.
- To carry out project monitoring, control, quality management, and reporting throughout the project cycle to ensure adherence to contractual requirements; to review detailed engineering designs drawings, and other relevant documentation prior to manufacturing and commencement of works at site; to develop and implement a quality control plan with locus on critical project milestones, activities and equipment; to prepare quality control protocols; to schedule and facilitate network pre commissioning and commissioning activities; and to facilitate handover of completed project works as detailed in the contract.
- To collaborate with the Social and Environmental Specialist at REA to monitor the projects compliance with environmental and social safeguard instruments that include, among others, the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), the Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) and all relevant Word Bank policies as detailed in the Project's Financing Agreement; to ensure timely submission of the contractors ESMP implementation report, to review for completeness in conjunction with the environmental unit and to facilitate environmental audit exercise during the project closure.
- To participate in project preparation and Supervision by conducting field visits to verify and update scope, designs, and material quantities; and to supervise the development statement of requirements and preparation of bidding documents; to facilitate the procurement of project contractors; and to prepare terms of reference (TORs) for consultancy services and to facilitate the related procurement activities. .
- To review payment certificates and consultancy tee notes and submit as necessary for payment and to ensure timely payment of contractors’ invoices and consultancy tee notes.
- To carry out any other duties as specified by the Supervisor.
A candidate should have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized University.
- Professional registration and membership with an Engineering Professional body will be an added advantage.
- Masters in Power engineering or the equivalent will be an added advantage.
- Additional training in Project Management will be an advantage.
- Working experience of at least seven (7) years, of which at least five (5) years should have been in designing and implementing electricity distribution projects up to 33 kV.
- Good interpersonal, communication and public relations skills.
- A proven integrity record
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to tackle new areas of work beyond core skill and enthusiasm to get the lob done
- Positive attitude with good teamwork skills.
- Flexible and adaptable
- Willing to work in a rural environment
- Proven integrity record
Job application procedure
Interested nationals who meet the requirements should submit their applications which include: forwarding letter, detailed CV, names and addresses of three referees and copies of relevant certificates and testimonials, addressed and delivered to:
The Executive Director
Rural Electrification Agency
Plot1ll Windsor Loop, Kololo
2nd Floor, House of Hope
P.O Box 7317 Kampala – Uganda
Deadline for receiving the applications: Thursday 16th November, 2017 at 5:00pm (Local Time)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that canvassing and lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification of the candidate