Country Director - Uganda & Tanzania
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Deadline of this Job:
21st August 2017
Reports to: Regional Director
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Country Director - Uganda & Tanzania will provide overall leadership and strategic management with a view to position DRC as the leading INGO in Uganda and Tanzania on protection of displaced populations, promotion of durable solutions, Armed Violence Reduction; oversee the strengthening of DRC’s programme development, quality and accountability framework and be a pro-active partner in the wider regional strategic and programme development process. The CD supervises the senior management team for Uganda and Tanzania including the Deputy Country Director based in Dar es Salaam, the DRC Head of Programmes, and the Head of Finance and Administration. In addition, the CD will oversee the work of the DDG Head of Programmes, supporting the DDG portfolio as a key pillar of the overall Uganda programme. A close working relationship will be maintained with the regional senior management team. The CD for Uganda-Tanzania reports to the Regional Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Direct managerial oversight and support: Ensure that the SMT and PMs have clear and realistic performance based management goals. Tasks include:
- Direct line management of SMT, Consortium Managers, and country wide programme support team;
- Assist the PMs to establish good management support for their teams;
- Provide on-going support and coaching, and ensure that staff has the necessary capacity to fulfill their responsibilities.
Programme Strategy: Develop and update the Uganda-Tanzania programme strategy, within DRC/DDG’s overall regional and global strategic frameworks. Tasks include:
- Keeping abreast key conflict and displacement trends in the region impacting the two countries;
- Tasked with identifying key developments and trends in refugee response in countries and position the organisation to best deal with these
- Ensure that the key regional and global frameworks are contextualised and applied in the country program context and ensure that staff understand these,
- Leading a consultative process for local strategy development,
- Leading the Uganda and Tanzania annual programme portfolio analyses,
- Playing a key role in fundraising and donor contract management.
Quality and Accountability: Responsible for ensuring that programmes comply with the organisational quality and accountability commitments. Tasks include:
- Ensure that the Operations and Programme Handbooks are utilized throughout all offices,
- Oversee the process of developing and updating the local Humanitarian Accountability Framework and Quality Management System,
- Promote accountability concepts and practices.
Safety and Security: To hold overall responsibility for ensuring that DRC’s Uganda-Tanzania programme is delivered in a safe and secure manner. Tasks include:
- Working closely with DRC’s Regional Security Advisor and Uganda-Tanzania Programme safety officers to ensure that all EAY security management protocols and procedures are updated, made locally relevant and applied consistently,
- Tasked with ensuring security analyses is being done collectively and regularly,
- Ensuring compliance with risk mitigation against corruption, fraud and diversion.
Representation, Coordination and Stakeholder management: Ensure that DRC/DDG maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, the humanitarian community and donors. Tasks include:
- Representing DRC/DDG at relevant and senior forums/ meetings,
- Ensuring other staff are appropriately representing DRC/DDG at relevant forums/ meetings,
- Maintaining agreed profile of DRC/DDG at country level,
- Carrying out regular stakeholder analyses to ensure that DRC/DDG has good understanding of dynamics/ relationships,
- Engaging in, and where effective, leading coordination processes amongst key stakeholders.
Advocacy and Communication: Take lead of the Uganda and Tanzania’s team’s advocacy in all DRC/DDG key messages. Tasks include:
- With Regional Office to prepare and implement an advocacy and communication strategy,
- Guiding staff to advocate clearly, appropriately and strategically.
Financial Accountability: Ensure that the different programmes deliver financial accountability. Tasks include:
- Playing an active and coordinating role in linking finance teams with the Regional finance teams, and financial management itself,
- Ensuring that financial systems are followed by FOs and that financial reports submitted are accurate,
- Ensuring the finance and programme teams have a productive engagement.
DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results in a fast paced environment
- Collaborating: You lead initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while setting high standards
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications online at the link below including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.