- CV Help
- All Jobs
- Contact us
HIV/AIDS Specialist (District Health System Strengthening)
Jobs at:Associazione Volontari per il Servizio Internazionale ( AVSI )
Deadline of this Job:
18th July 2019
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
AVSI is an international NGO with headquarters in Italy, which has been active in Uganda since 1984. Its current activities are focused in the areas of education, health, livelihoods, and protection, nutrition and refugee programs in Uganda.
UNICEF and AVSI entered into a partnership under the project entitled District Health System Strengthening on RMNCAH, HIV, and Nutrition in the districts of Arua, Adjumani, Koboko, Maracha, Moyo, Nebbi, Pakwach, Yumbe, Zombo, Lamwo and Kiryandongo - ALIVE.
The projects aim to “Support and keep children and mothers ALIVE through the provision of a comprehensive Health, Nutrition, and HIV/AIDS Package” under which AVSI contributes to efforts to reduce maternal and child mortality and improve the quality of life of children and women in Northern Uganda, Acholi and West Nile sub-regions.
The project also will support and build synergies with other implementing partners and AVSI existing projects; ‘Maximizing impact against HIV, TB, and Malaria in Acholi Sub-Region’ funded by Italian Cooperation, Resilient Learners, Teachers and Education Systems in South Sudan and Uganda (RICE) in Lamwo and Arua districts, funded by EU.
AVSI is seeking an HIV/AIDS Specialist who will be responsible for providing strategic and technical direction towards response to the global goal of “90,90,90” – that is 90% Ugandan living with HIV is identified, 90% of the identified are enrolled on ART, and 90% of those have sustained Viral Load Suppression. The HIV/AIDS Specialist position specializes in providing HIV prevention and treatment with major focus on elimination of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV (eMTCT).
Under the supervision of the Programme manager Health System Strengthening, the HIV/AIDS Specialist will work very closely with the, RMNCAH Health System Strengthening Specialist Child Survival and Development Officers to strengthen HIV/AIDS interventions at the District, Health Facility and Community levels. The HIV/AIDS Specialist will provide day to day oversight for specific HIV/AIDS activities and cross cutting, multi-sectorial approaches. S/he will facilitate communication and maintain collaborative working relationship with GoU/MOH Officials, development partners including UNHCR in the refugee settlements, and civil society organizations working in HIV/AIDS. S/he may serve as a primary focal person or alternative on a variety of prevention technical areas like; Gender Based Violence prevention and post violence care, target population programming, social and behavioural change communication, and supports establishing and maintaining effective and highly collaborative relationship at the districts.
The HIV/AIDS Specialist will be responsible for supporting; planning, implementation and monitoring the implementation of the HIV/AIDS component of the UNICEF funded programme "District Health System Strengthening; RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS and Nutrition”. .
Duties and responsibilities:
• Establish effective linkages between HIV prevention, care and treatment, and health system strengthening programs to ensure holistic and integrated approaches to HIV/AIDS programming.
• Serves as the primary expert and advisor on HIV/AIDS in the integrated health system strengthening project implementation.
• Identify new and existing opportunities for integration of HIV/AIDS with other health, education, and other economic growth.
• Support development, improvement and dissemination of sounds HIV/AIDS prevention policies and strategies in response to evolving epidemiological evidence.
• Provide expert advice and leadership in HIV prevention programming for key and priority population.
• Support and develop relationships with the community in order to gain access to HIV positive individuals and individuals at risk for HIV infection.
• Provide technical advisory/support to the District Health Team and District Health Management Team in all phases of planning, implementing, supervising, monitoring and reporting of the Health System strengthening project.
• Prepare reports and response to HIV/AIDS related matters.
• Support in other activities as may be assigned.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Basic Degree in Medicine (MBChB) with a Master’s degree in a field relevant to development assistance for health such as Internal Medicine, Social Sciences, Public Health, Social Work and International development. Other relevant trainings or certification if applicable, to augment university degrees and work experience
• At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible, professional experience in HIV/AIDS with international development organization and or other multi-lateral or bi-lateral organizations
• Increasingly responsible experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of HIV/AIDS prevention initiative in developing countries and or in generalized epidemics.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply relevant regulation, policies, and operational guidelines of entities such as; international health organization, international development organization
• Experience working in Refugees setting is additional advantage
• Fluent English is required with excellent speaking and writing skills.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 8 years
Job application procedure
The AVSI Country Representative, AVSI Foundation, P.O.Box 6785, Kampala, Uganda and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, 18th July 2019 (5.00 pm), indicating the e-mail subject as ‘Application for Nutrition Specialist’.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
AVSI Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and has a functional Child Protection Policy by which all AVSI staff and Associates must abide.