- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
National Senior Project Officer
Deadline of this Job:
30th September 2019
Date Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Title: NATIONAL SENIOR PROJECT OFFICER Domain: Education Grade: NOD Only nationals of the Country may apply for this post Organizational Unit: UNESCO Nairobi Regional Office for Eastern Africa. Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda Type of contract: Duration: Project Appointment 12 months with possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance (6 months probationary period) Deadline (midnight, Nairobi time): September 30, 2019 Applications to be sent to Nairobi.email@example.com (UNESCO CV Form to be used), in English by email with the subject "Application NOD Uganda (CapED)" with a cover letter.
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism: Overview of the functions of the post UNESCO's Capacity Development for Education (CapED) programme is an extra-budgetary funding mechanism and programme approach with the objective to play a key role in contributing to capacity development of national stakeholders to implement and monitor Sustainable Development Goal 4. In Uganda, the CapED programme aims at strengthening national capacities to plan and manage the teaching profession
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the guidance of the Director of the UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa and the direct supervision of the Senior Education Programme Specialist, in close collaboration with the Unit for Capacity Development and Field support, the incumbent will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of activities of the CapED programme in Uganda. S/He shall directly collaborate in the overall planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, evaluation and documentation of the programme.
• Ensure leadership and direct programme coordination of the CapED project and other education projects in Uganda,
• Develop/revise/monitor/report programme documents and detailed work plans in line with CapED programme guidelines and in close consultation and collaboration with CapED staff at HQ and Nairobi, including national and regional partners.
• Provide technical guidance and support towards capacity building interventions within the education sector to develop comprehensive action on teacher professionalization in Uganda in line with the CapED thematic areas
• Monitor the implementation of the work plan by ensuring communication and mutual consultations in view of a perfect collaboration among all concerned stakeholders; and that activities are executed in due time and deliver outputs/ products that directly contribute to the attainment of the objectives of the programme. Monitor budget, financial and administrative matters and prepare documents concerning the Programme, including reporting status
• Strategically position UNESCO in the implementation of the UNDAF and actively participate in the UN and development partners' working groups at country level in line with the mandate and priorities of UNESCO.
• Actively participate in working groups relevant to the mandate of the organization, supporting the networking of the UNESCO antenna Office in Kampala with key partners and strengthening UNESCO's presence at country level.
• Contribute to the production, use and dissemination of information on CapED and the Education sector. . Mobilize resources for at least one project per year in line with the education SDG4- 2030 agenda, UNESCO's priorities for Uganda and with other UN agencies.
• Oversee and assist in the implementation of all projects in the UNESCO antenna Office in Kampala.
• Accountability Communication
• Teamwork innovation
• Results focus
• Planning and organizing
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement Managerial Competencies
• Driving and managing change
• Strategic thinking
• Making quality decisions
• Building partnerships
• Leading and empowering others
• Managing performance
• Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education, Social Sciences, Development Studies or related fields
• Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience in education, education reforms or/and education in emergencies.
• Proven experience and understanding of the country, development work, teacher development and capacity building for education and working with the education sector both at national and district level
• Experience in fund raising and resource mobilisation. Skills and competencies:
• Strong strategic and analytical skills
• Demonstrated oral and written communication.
• Excellent coordination.
• Familiarity with the administrative procedures of UN organizations, preferably UNESCO.
• Ability to maintain effective working relations within a multicultural environment and to work effectively within a team
• Capacity to build and manage education programmes.
• Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners
• Good knowledge of capacity development concept.
• Good IT skills, including knowledge of MS software (Word,Excel etc.) Languages:
• Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
• A PhD in Education, Social Sciences, Development Studies or related fields.
• Experience in programme planning, monitoring and evaluation in the context of UN.
• Relevant experience working with education systems in countries and/or with private sector. Experience in working with UN partners, Ministries of Education, UN agencies, inter governmental organizations, development banks, teacher education and higher education institutions, and civil society organisations on similar education projects Skills and competencies:
• Ability to coordinate complex projects.
• Knowledge of UNESCO's education conventions and global priorities.
• Good knowledge of French and other national or local languages
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
To apply, please send your application letter and UNESCO CV (CV Form to be used) in English by email with the subject "Application NOD Uganda (CapED)" to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com . Applications will have to reach UNESCO Regional Office Nairobi before to be completed by Nairobi Office midnight (Nairobi time). Please indicate the position title and the duty station you are applying for. Incomplete UNESCO CV will not be processed. Benefits and entitlements: UNESCO's salaries are calculated in local currency. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, pension plan and medical insurance. Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.