Nursing Officer Nursing
Global Health Collaborative (GHC)
Deadline of this Job:
November 16, 2018 by 5PM
Date Posted: 07 November 2018 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Employment Type: Full-Time
About the Company
The Global Health Collaborative (GHC) is a collaboration between Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), Mbarara Regional Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). GHC’s mission is to build bilateral institutional capacity through research, innovation, education, clinical care and responsive program implementation in Uganda and the United States.
There are positions available with the First Mile Program. These will be full-time positions with a seven months contract. The contract is subject to renewal basing on the approval from supervisors indicating employee’s excellent job performance, favorable performance appraisal reports and continued funding of the program.
1. Nursing Officer Nursing (4 positions)
Place of work: Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital (MRRH)
Reports to: Senor Nursing Officer MRRH
Supervises: Assistant Nursing Officers
Purpose of the job
To provide quality nursing services to Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital
Key result areas
- Provision of quality nursing services
- Institution of mechanisms for provision of 24-hour nursing coverage
- Coaching and mentoring
- Implementation of nursing protocols
- Management of performance.
Key duties and responsibilities
The key duties and responsibilities of the Nursing Officer are to: -
- Plan, monitor, and evaluate nursing activities
- Prepare and submit reports
- Allocate duties to nursing staff and students for smooth running of wards.
- Coach and mentor students and staff
- Participate in research activities for evidence-based practice
- Implement nursing protocols
- Manage performance of staff.
- Make arrangements for provision of wards with adequate supplies and drugs.
- Account for supplies and drugs,
- Conduct primary health care and health education.
- Enforce strict adherence to code of conduct and ethics.
Qualifications for Position1. A Bachelor of Science degree in either Nursing from a recognized University Institution
a) Concern for quality and standards
- Endeavors to have clear information that relates to roles, performance expectations and tasks and accountability.
- Maintains current and thorough records
- Acts to improve performance and to ensure success.
- Monitors progress against key criteria
b) Results orientation
- Aware of the mission, goals, strategic objectives and key outputs of the organization and own department
- Able to Iink the objectives and outputs of the department to his/her own job.
- Able to prioritize work and makes decisions that are aligned with established objectives.
- Strives to improve results.
c) Ethics and integrity
- Does not require external monitoring to observe ethical standards but monitors own actions for consistency with accepted values and standards
- Openly advocates for observance of ethical values and principles to others.
d) Effective communication
- Responds by giving clear, concise and accurate information.
- Formats the material based on the purpose of communicating, the competences of the target audience and in a way that facilitates the understanding of the message.
e) Public relations and customer care
- Clarifies roles and duties to avoid being misunderstood.
- Takes personal responsibility for correcting customer service problems and does so promptly.
- Sees oneself as a representative of the organization and acts in a way that markets/promotes the organization.
a) Planning, organizing and coordinating
- Adjusts plan appropriately and takes initiative to follow through rather than wait for problems.
- Anticipates problems, takes advantage of opportunities and effectively deals with them.
b) Managing employee performance
c) Coaching and mentoring
- Provides routine exchange of knowledge with others to help them carry out assignments,
- Gives detailed instructions and/or on the-job demonstration,
- Listens for appropriate responses and provides encouragement and support for action.
- Reinforces behavior that produces positive outputs.
d) Time management
- Plans daily, weekly, quarterly, monthly and annually
- Maintains an organized work environment with easy access the necessary resources and files and with minimal clutter
- Uses an effective personal planning and scheduling tool
- Maintains an organized filing system
- Takes specific steps to evaluate how time is used and to eliminate time wastage
Purpose of the job
- To provide quality midwifery services Provision of quality midwifery services
- Institution of mechanisms for provision of 24 home midwifery coverage
- Coaching and mentoring
- Implementation of midwifery protocols