- CV Help
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Nutrition Specialist (Health System Strengthening)
Jobs at:Associazione Volontari per il Servizio Internazionale ( AVSI )
Deadline of this Job:
18th July 2019
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
AVSI is an international NGO with headquarters in Italy, which has been active in Uganda since 1984. Its current activities are focused in the areas of education, health, livelihoods, and protection, nutrition and refugee programs in Uganda.
UNICEF and AVSI entered into a partnership under the project entitled District Health System Strengthening on RMNCAH, HIV, and Nutrition in the districts of Arua, Adjumani, Koboko, Maracha, Moyo, Nebbi, Pakwach, Yumbe, Zombo, Lamwo and Kiryandongo - ALIVE.
The projects aim to “Support and keep children and mothers ALIVE through the provision of a comprehensive Health, Nutrition, and HIV/AIDS Package” under which AVSI contributes to efforts to reduce maternal and child mortality and improve the quality of life of children and women in Northern Uganda, Acholi and West Nile sub-regions.
The project also will support and build synergies with other implementing partners and AVSI existing projects; ‘Maximizing impact against HIV, TB, and Malaria in Acholi Sub-Region’ funded by Italian Cooperation, Resilient Learners, Teachers and Education Systems in South Sudan and Uganda (RICE) in Lamwo and Arua districts, funded by EU.
AVSI Foundation is seeking to recruit a Nutrition specialist provide both strategic and technical direction to nutrition programming in the integrated district health system. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of nutrition Activities at the district, in close working collaboration with the DHTs and the child survival development officers based at the districts. The Specialist will liaise with the nutrition division of the Ministry of Health, UNICEF, District nutrition lead, UNHCR nutritionist District Nutrition Coordination Committees, District Health Teams and health facility in-charges/ facility nutrition focal persons in the supported districts to establish and/ or strengthen health facilities and community capacity for management of Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM) and Severe Acute Malnutrition, as well as promotion of appropriate MIYCF and WASH practices and behaviours. .
Specific duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in AVSI/UNICEF Activity periodic work planning, reporting and strategy development based on evidence, as necessary.
• Participate in development of training packages at national and sub-regional level, and training of various services providers at community and facility levels using various training approaches i.e. MIYCF, IMAM and NACs.
• Lead the planning and preparation of nutrition packages (protocols, guidelines, equipment and related materials) for nutrition capacity building at the districts of operations.
• Provide technical support to multi-sectorial nutrition programming through establishing and/or strengthening capacity of District Nutrition Coordination Committees.
• Establish a program for community-based rehabilitation of malnourished children and promotion of Essential Nutrition Actions (ENAs) targeting the first 1,000 days of life. This involves initiating pilot sites, evaluating the results, and then scaling up the program to other communities.
• Act as a link between the AVSI/UNICEF Activity and National Nutrition Division of the MoH and represent the UNICEF/AVSI Activity in the nutrition Technical Working Group.
• Participate in national, district and community level nutrition meetings with other nutrition stakeholders as requested
• Coordinate and conduct periodic stakeholder meetings aimed at promoting Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation among stakeholders in the region i.e. IMAM sharing sessions, coordination meetings
• Provide technical support to other technical personnel, including reviewing documents and presentations, developing strategies, approaches as requested.
• Work with the Ministry of Health, implementing partners, nutrition committees, working groups to establish priorities, work plans and provide technical assistance to implement nutrition activities/tasks in west Nile
• In collaboration with MoH/UNICEF oversee the improvement and scale-up of nutrition services integration into all health services at health facility levels through conducting health systems strengthening performance assessment, and rapid assessment identifying gaps.
• Strengthen capacities of Health facilities and districts to effectively use IMAM/ NACS tools through capacity building and supporting district mentor’s/coaches mentorship to ensure quality improvement
• Facilitate and participate in operational research related to Nutrition and share results for program and policy planning and decision making
• Contribute towards AVSI monitoring, Evaluation Learning, Adapting and knowledge management activities, specifically ensuring quality data capture into DHIS2.
• Perform other job-related activities as assigned by the supervisor(s).
• Work with the regional referral nutritionist, regional and district national mentors/coaches, district nutritionists, district nutrition focal persons, CSDs, the DHMTs and health in-charges of the selected facilities to.
• Develop a system for planning and management of nutrition supplies, equipment and tools and ensure timely ordering and delivery;
• Ensure adherence to guidelines and protocols for management various forms of malnutrition.
• Ensure establishment and functionality of Nutrition Work Improvement Teams as well as integration of nutrition in facility Quality Improvement approaches.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Basic Degree in Nutrition with Postgraduate Training or Master in related health and social sciences; nutrition, public health or related field.
• At least 7 years of demonstrated experience in developing, implementing, and monitoring successful district nutrition programs, managing malnutrition among vulnerable groups especially refuges settings, and promoting behavioural change for prevention of malnutrition.
• Familiarity with UNICEF funded nutrition initiatives and the positive deviance methodology is an added advantage.
• Experience in technical and programming in IYCF, IMAM/CMAM approaches, with additional expertise in community health and nutrition activities, including IMCI, essential nutrition actions, nutrition assessments, monitoring and evaluation, and behaviour change communication.
• Experience with UNICEF-funded programs required
• Ability to write effectively for a range of audiences and purposes, including policy-makers, program managers and service providers
• Ability to translate technical information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print, electronic, and presentation media
• Fluency in English relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office)
• Excellent presentation, organizational, interpersonal skills, Initiative and ability to work independently and as a team
• Ability to facilitate relationships and interact smoothly and effectively with stakeholders and colleagues.
• Ability to solve problems creatively, multi-task and work as a member of a team.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate with a variety of collaborators, including DHMTs, national level managers, donors, NGOs and community-based organizations.
• Strong and demonstrated supervisory skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong report writing skills and computer skills.
• Fluent English is required with excellent speaking and writing skills.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 7 years
Job application procedure
The AVSI Country Representative, AVSI Foundation, P.O.Box 6785, Kampala, Uganda and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, 18th July 2019 (5.00 pm), indicating the e-mail subject as ‘Application for Nutrition Specialist’.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
AVSI Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and has a functional Child Protection Policy by which all AVSI staff and Associates must abide.