Deadline of this Job:
Monday, 07th January, 2019.
Yumbe , Uganda , East Africa , 256
Date Posted: 19th December 2018 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Employment Type: Full-Time , Currency: Ush
JOB DETAILS: Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Operating in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has field offices in Kitgum, Gulu, Kotido, Moroto, Arua, Yumbe, Amudat and Kaabong and implements programs that cover a wide variety of program sectors including food security, health/nutrition, water/sanitation, peace building, youth, agriculture, and econ development.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Program officer for the DFID funded 14-months program on Market system development. Taking a market systems development (MSD) approach, the strategy involved channeling coupons for partial subsidies on improved seeds through local agro-dealers, improving agro-dealers’ ability to access quality inputs from national seed companies, promoting land sharing between refugees and host communities, and working with produce trading companies to attract them to the area and assist in developing agent networks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Planning, developing and implementing activities
- Introduce program to relevant stakeholders including local business owners, local representatives and community members.
- In coordination with program team and partners, plan, implement and monitor market development activities according to work plan
- Mobilize targeted beneficiaries to fully participate in the program.
- Work together with private sector partner, agents and agro dealers to set up a market network
- Participate in assessments in the target geographic areas to assess current situation, economic opportunities and resources, needs and potential programs as well as challenges.
- Work closely with sub-award partners to coordinate all activities that are organized at the Innovation Centers.
- Make almost daily field visits to settlements to ensure good implementation of MSD activities as well as partners’ activities. Collaboration/Networking with partners
- Establish and maintain good coordination and working relationships with sub-county leaders, representing Mercy Corps and soliciting participation in activities where appropriate and as directed.
- Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with relevant stakeholders such as local government, NGOs and local authorities, as appropriate and advised by the line manager.
- Work closely with subaward partners at the innovation centres, share and request for relevant project information
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Uganda and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission. Documentation, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Work closely with M&E to capture data for measuring output and impact of the program; and to ensure accurate and timely flow of information from the field.
- Prepare and submit timely weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports and work plans that will be indicative of program progress during implementation. Respond to queries if and when necessary.
- Maintain proper filing system of all activities
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- BRIDGE team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to direct program participants, engaging them as equal partners in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of our field activities. Any other related duties assigned
ETHICS AND INTEGRITY:
- All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree in agribusiness, development, economic development, business management or a closely related field is required.
- About 3-5 years of experience designing, implementing and managing similar initiatives (private sector partnership, economic strengthening, market systems development).
- Experience in market system development is a must.
- Experience in working in refugee settlements is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English are required.
- Experience in building and maintaining strong/productive relations with implementing and strategic partners is required.
- Strong leadership and proven team building experience is a must.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
- Willingness to spend much time in the field and work closely with program target groups.
- Knowledge of monitor and evaluation and know how to use it during the project
Job application procedure
Submit your application through email to email@example.com addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Monday, 07th January, 2019. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.