- CV Help
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Technical Advisor- Energy Investment
Deadline of this Job:
15th July 2019
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
GIZ PREEEP - Green People's Energy Reports to: Head of Programme Duty station Kampala/Uganda with frequent travels to Northern Uganda Ref. No GIZ-PREEEP/TA/071957 Background Green People's Energy is an initiative launched by the German Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Mr. Gerd Müller, in June 2017 as part of the Marshal Plan with Africa. The initiative is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in eight focal countries: Benin, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mozambique, Senegal, Uganda and Zambia. The country project Uganda aims improving the access to decentralized renewable energy systems for farmers, enterprises, cooperatives and social institutions in rural areas. In Uganda, the project will consist of three components:
1) Training and skills development
Trainings and curricula for renewable energy (RE) technologies will be developed (solar water pumping etc.) and applied in partnership with two training institutes in Northern Uganda.
2) Access to Clean Energy for SMEs, Cooperatives and social institutions
SMEs, cooperatives and social institutions off the grid as well as in the reach of minigrids, will receive technical and financial support to acquire and operate off-grid solar systems and energy efficient appliances for productive use such as agro-processing, other income generating activities and improved services.
3) Investments: The component promotes investments into decentralized renewable energy systems (for example grid-connected solar systems, solar for captive power, off-grid solar etc.). Larger energy consumers with operation facilities in rural areas will be supported to develop bankable renewable energy projects for lower energy costs and higher competitively. GIZ Uganda seeks to recruit a Technical Advisor - Energy Investment to support the implementation of this project, particularly for Component 3 and partially for Component 2..
• Implementation of activities regarding the development of bankable renewable energy projects for larger energy consumers in rural areas
• Preparation, design and implementation of trainings for enterprises, SMEs and project developers on business development, bankability, RE related project development as well as RE technologies and energy-efficient appliances
• Linkage of selected enterprises and SMEs with financial institutions and funding schemes, investors, project developers and suppliers
• Regular engagement with business associations, other GIZ projects, development and private banks and related funding schemes
• Monitoring of project progress for all activities under the investment component
• Always uphold GIZ's values of sustainable development, transparency, efficiency and anti-corruption towards public, partners, government, private sector and institutions.
The Technical Advisor • Energy Investment will be expected to perform the following tasks:
• Gather and analyze information to guide project interventions, including:
a) Selection of motivated enterprises and SMEs for project support
b) Assessing capacity building needs of enterprises and SMEs in order develop bankable decentralized RE projects and maximize the impact of improved energy access and energy efficient appliances through business development
c) Analyzing the financial resources and avenues available to the target group d) Identification of opportunities for cooperation with other GIZ projects, development banks and funding schemes.
• Establish sound and transparent relations with the involved stakeholders
• Cooperate within the project team to design efficient modes of support
• Regular monitoring visits to the supported enterprises and SMEs, project developers as well as other implementation partners
• Design and implement trainings for enterprises and project developers on bankability, project and business development, RE technologies and energy-efficient appliances
• Design, coordinate and monitor consultancies
• Maintain equitable, transparent and fair delivery of support services to all partners Project administration
• Documentation of project activities and support to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)
• Ensure correct visibility for the project and contribute to communications materials
• Adherence to GIZ regulations and standards
• Regular communication with project manager and development advisor.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management
• Ability to meet commitments, plan ahead of time, observe deadlines, achieve results
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written Polite and professional manner in conduct, in person, by phone and email
• Strong ability to work within a team and follow a common goal
• Computer literacy with excellent knowledge of MS Office and optional experience in using energy software design tools
• Excellent English language skills
Other knowledge, and additional competences
• Experience in the design, costing and profitability analysis as well as financing of renewable energy projects for enterprises and SMES
• Practical experience in trainings on project development, bankability, RE technologies and energy-efficient appliances.
• Experience with RE solutions relevant for enterprises and SMEs such as solar captive power, solar and solar hybrid off-grid systems and grid connected systems.
• Sound understanding of the Ugandan banking and finance sector and opportunities for financing of RE projects for enterprises and SMEs
• Experience in stakeholder consultation and coordination Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
• Master's degree in business administration, management, finance, industrial engineering, electrical engineering, business and engineering or similar Minimum 5 years working experience, at least 3 years in renewable energy or similar
• Relevant trainings and postgraduate qualifications are an added advantage.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
How to Apply All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application and CV along with the contacts of three professional referees to The Director, Future Options Consulting Ltd, 4th Floor, DTB Centre, Kampala Road, P.O.Box 34934, Kampala, Uganda by email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +256 414 231204/6. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 15th July 2019. Please note: This is a national position. Application and CV should be in one document including the relevant attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.