- CV Help
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Technical Advisor - Energy Skills Development
Deadline of this Job:
15th July 2019
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Green People's Energy Uganda Green People's Energy is an initiative launched by the German Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Mr. Gerd Müller, in June 2017 as part of the Marshal Plan with Africa. The initiative is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in eight focal countries: Benin, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mozambique, Senegal, Uganda and Zambia. The country project Uganda aims improving the access to decentralized renewable energy systems for farmers, enterprises, cooperatives and social institutions in rural areas. In Uganda, the project will consist of three components:
1) Training and skills development Trainings and curricula for renewable energy (RE) technologies will be developed (solar water pumping etc.). The capacities of technical teachers shall be improved enabling them to train technicians on the proper design, installation and maintenance of RE systems. The project will partner with 2 vocational training institutes (VTls) in Northern Uganda for this purpose. Further Vis will receive support to acquire solar systems and training and demonstration installations. The project will also support the training of users of RE appliances such as farmers.
2) Access to Clean Energy for SMEs, Cooperatives and social institutions SMEs, cooperatives and social institutions off the grid as well as in the reach of mini-grids, will receive technical and financial support to acquire and operate off-grid solar systems and energy efficient appliances for productive use and improved services.
3) Investments and framework conditions: This component aims at promoting investments into decentralized renewable energy systems such as grid-connected solar systems, solar for captive power, off grid solar etc.
GIZ Uganda seeks to recruit a Technical Advisor - Energy Skills Development to support the implementation of this project, particularly for Component 1..
• Implementation of activities regarding the development of RE curricula, course modules, training materials and concepts
• Preparation, design and implementation of training of trainers (ToT) as well as training for technicians and RE appliance users such as farmers Creation of tailor-made support packages for VTIS incl. solar power supply, training materials and demonstration sites
• Regular engagement with the selected VTIs and other partners to identify opportunities, address challenges and maintain sound relations during implementation Maintain communication with other GIZ energy and rural development projects for coordination and implementation of synergetic and joint activities
• Monitor project progress for all activities under the skills development component
• Always uphold GIZ's values of sustainable development, transparency, efficiency and anti-corruption towards public, partners, government, private sector and institutions.
The Energy Skills Development Advisor will be expected to perform the following tasks:
B. Specific Tasks Assessments
• Gather and analyze information to guide project interventions, including:
a) Selection of motivated and strong partner training institutes as well as trainees
b) Assessing the needs of the partnering VTIs in order to become competent RE training
Centers (capacity building, curricula, equipment and materials)
c) Analyzing the financial resources and avenues available to the beneficiaries d) Identification of opportunities for cooperation with other GIZ projects.
• Establish sound and transparent relations with partnering VTls and all other partners
• Cooperate within the project team to design efficient modes of support Conduct regular monitoring visits to partnering Vils and other implementation partners
• Conceptualize and implement user trainings to assure proper usage and maintenance of all provided trainings materials, equipment and demonstrators Design, coordinate and monitor consultancies
• Develop joint activities with other GIZ projects for the training of RE appliance users (farmers etc.)
• Design sustainability strategies for the partnering VTIS
• Maintain equitable, transparent and fair delivery of support services to all partners Project administration
• Documentation of project activities and support to Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)
• Ensure correct visibility for the project and contribute to communications materials
• Adherence to GIZ regulations and standard
• Regular communication with project manager and development advisor other duties/additional tasks
• Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Bachelors or master's degree in RE, electrical engineering or similar disciplines
• Minimum 5 years working experience, at least 2 years in vocational training
Job Education Requirements: Masters
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
How to Apply All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application and CV along with the contacts of three professional referees to The Director, Future Options Consulting Ltd, 4th Floor, DTB Centre, Kampala Road, P.O.Box 34934, Kampala, Uganda by email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +256 414 231204/6. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 15th July 2019. Please note: This is a national position. Application and CV should be in one document including the relevant attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.