3 Regional Communications Officer
Jobs at:Women’s Situation Room
Deadline of this Job:
20 September 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Opportunity; Regional Communications Officer
The Women’s International Peace Centre and the Uganda Women’s Network are searching for qualified and competent candidates to fill the following positions on behalf of the Women’s Situation Room for the 2021 elections in Uganda.
The Women’s Situation Room (WSR) is a neutral, non-partisan mechanism that mobilizes women and youth to promote peaceful and democratic electoral processes. The WSR also promotes the enhanced participation of women in peace building in line with the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325.
Founded by The Angie Brooks International Centre in Liberia, the WSR was first implemented in 2011 during the presidential elections in Liberia. It has, since then, been replicated in Uganda in 2016 and in other African countries including Senegal, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Nigeria and Ghana. It has been acknowledged as an effective mechanism for promoting peaceful elections by the United Nations Security Council and by the African Union, which requested that the WSR be implemented in all African elections.
The WSR involves all electoral stakeholders in consultative engagements to ensure peace before, during and after elections. It includes a physical Situation Room where women are involved in advocacy for peace; political and legal analysis of the situation; and interventions that may include mediation to avert conflict.
The overall objective of the WSR Uganda 2021 is to promote the full and active participation of women and youth in ensuring peaceful elections and to contribute to the strengthening and refinement of the WSR mechanism for ensuring peace in African elections. The Women’s Situation Room Uganda will be hosted by Uganda Women’s Network (UWONET); with the Women’s International Peace Centre serving as the WSR Secretariat.
The Women’s Situation Room is a non-partisan space, and candidates applying for any of the positions must be committed to being neutral and non-partisan during the full course of their assignment with the Women’s Situation Room.
Job title: Regional Communications Officer
Number of Positions: 3 (Three)
Duty Station: Eastern, Western and Northern Uganda
Reporting to: Communications Manager
Contract Term: 3 Months
PLEASE INCLUDE REGION OF PREFERENCE IN YOUR APPLICATION .
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Communications Manager, the Regional Communications Officer will perform the following functions:
• Contribution to the development and implementation of WSR Communications Strategy
• Contribution of content to the WSR website and social media platforms through the National Communications Officer
• Support to the Communications Manager and National Communications Officer in the conduct of a proactive media campaign of advocacy for peaceful elections in the region
• Ensuring effective internal communications across all WSR stakeholders in the region
• Contribution to the production of communications and knowledge products of the WSR
• Writing impact stories on WSR activities in the region
• Liaison with the National Communications Officer, in the management and sharing of appropriate information on the activities of the WSR, in line with WSR procedures
• Liaison with the WSR Eminent Women, Youth Peer to Peer Peace Advocates, Women Peace Advocates, WSR Election Observers and other stakeholders in the region.
Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Information Management, Journalism, or relevant field
• Knowledge and understanding of Gender, Peace and Conflict Resolution, Mediation and Reconciliation is an added advantage.
• At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in communications, advocacy, research and information.
• Excellent writing and editing skills across a range of communications formats and platforms
• Knowledge of and solid experience in using a range of standard IT software.
• Fluency in English is required
• Knowledge of local languages spoken in the region is an asset.
Job Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Experience: 3 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Deadline – 20th September 2020
Interested candidates should send applications and CVs including three references with contact details and copies of academic and professional testimonials by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Executive Director,
Plot 1 Martyr’s Garden B,
Minister’s Village, Ntinda,
Any inquiries should be submitted through the email addresses listed above. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. The successful candidate should be able to start immediately.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.