Community Mobilization Assistant – Gulu, Uganda – ICYD Activity
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
01 July 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Community Mobilization Assistant (CMA) will be responsible for supporting a given number of schools to ensure that children learn to read in safe and caring environments at school, home and in the community. S/he will be expected to work with all key stakeholders including the Headteachers (HTs), teachers, School Management Committees (SMCs) and Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), local governments and community leaders. The CMA will be part of and work collaboratively alongside other members of the ICYD Activity team, including the Early Grade Reading Officers (EGROs), District Community Engagement Supervisors (DCES) and Pre-Service Development Officers (PSDOs). This is a full-time position based in Gulu, Uganda, serving the following districts: Apac, Kole, Kwania, Lira, Dokolo, Oyam, Gulu, Kitgum, Omoro, and Agago.
As a member of the ICYD Activity team:
• CMAs will work closely with the HTs and teachers to facilitate early grade reading (EGR) activities in both Local Language and English at school-level. The core activities of the CMA will entail EGR teacher training and routine monitoring and support supervision school visits to conduct coaching and mentoring and school-based continuous professional development (CPD) for the teachers and HTs.
• CMAs will also work closely with the HTs, relevant teachers and Para Social Workers (PSWs) and Social Workers (SWs) to facilitate school-related gender-based violence (SRGBV) prevention activities in school and in the community. The activities include training HTs and relevant teachers on Journeys Plus and Journeys for Community, the Early Warning System, etc., as well as establishing SRGBV prevention committees in schools and conducting monitoring and support supervision school visits to coach and mentor HTs and relevant teachers.
• CMAs will support SMCs, PTAs and other community organizations to monitor and develop plans and strategies to address barriers to pupil enrollment, regular attendance and school retention and to address other contributing factors to low EGR competences among P1-P4 learners and combat SRGBV at the school level.
• CMAs will work with the schools and community members and local leaders to facilitate the Local Reading Support Program (LRSP) and Voluntary Literacy Tutoring (VLT) activities;
• CMAs will engage and build positive relationships with local and existing school foundational structures, supporters, and partners to improve support for EGR and safer learning environments.
• CMAs will prepare and submit written reports on ICYD activities and results on a monthly and quarterly basis.
• CMAs will conduct these and other tasks as required in support of the ICYD Activity goals.
The candidate for the position of Community Mobilization Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
• Grade III Teaching Certificate; diploma in a related field is preferred.
• Experience in teaching EGR.
• Experience in teacher training.
• Experience in coaching and mentoring teachers.
• Experience in conducting school-based CPD.
• Experience in facilitating SRGBV prevention activities in school and in the community.
• Experience in implementing community awareness and advocacy activities.
• Community engagement, facilitation, and training skills.
• Detailed understanding of the Ugandan education context.
• Knowledgeable of local government and community structures.
• Ability to verbally communicate in an engaging manner and write clearly and concisely in English.
• Ability to build effective relationships with relevant community and local government structures and peers.
• Ability to work within a cross cultural setting with tolerance and respect and negotiate diplomatically.
• Skills of working in a team, including basic supervision and management skills.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and with minimum supervision.
• Fluency in English and Lëb Acoli and Lëblaŋo is required.
• Job application closing date: July 1, 2022
• Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
• Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.