Project Support Officer
Jobs at:National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Deadline of this Job:
10 December 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) on behalf of tbe Government of Uganda is executing a 4-year Global Environment Facility/United Nations Environment Programme supported Project on " Institutional Capacity Strengthening for Implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing in Uganda". The development goal of the project is to conserve Uganda's genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge and access and share the benefits arising out of their utilization in an equitable and sustainable way while the project objective is to strengthen institutional capacity for effective implementation of the Nagoya Protocol and conduct effective awareness campaigns on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (ABS) in Uganda.
The project will have two site offices; one in Karamoja in north eastern Uganda targeting indigenous peoples and Local communities in the Karamoja region while the other will be in South Western Uganda targeting the Batwa community leaving around Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Mgahinga Gorilla National Parks. The Karamoja field be hosted by Karamoja Women Cultural Group (KWCG) while the United Organization for Batwa Development in Uganda (UOBDU) will host the field office for South Western Uganda.
To ensure effective and efficient delivery of project outputs and outcomes, NEMA is seeking to recruit competent staff stated below for the Project Management Unit (PMU).
NEMA invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Ref : NEMA/ ADV /EXT/14/2021
Title: Project Support Officer
Reports to : ABS NCA at Uganda National Council for Science and Technology
Scale Vacancies: ES
Job Purpose: To implement project activities at Uganda National Council for Science and Technology (UNCST)
Under the general supervision of the Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS) National Competent (NCA) at UNCST, the Project Support Officer will undertake the operational responsibility for timely delivery of the project outcomes and outputs being
• Ensure the timely and effective implementation of the approved project activities at field level
• Participate in the preparation of quarterly and annual workplans and budgets;
• manage the activity budgets and ensure the accurate recording of all data relevant for operational, financial and results based monitoring
• Prepare accurate and timely quarterly and annual technical and financial reports for activities undertaken as required
• Maintain linkages with district local government departments for liaison, rapport and any other assistance as required
• Ensure proper use of project equipment
• Assist in the preparation of meetings, workshops and seminars
• Support the PMU in the organization of the mid-term and final evaluations, and provide inputs as required
• Provide assistance in the field implementation of the ABS project according to the project document;
• Ensure smooth and timely implementation of project activities In support of the outcome based work plan, through operational and administrative procedures according to UNEP-GEF rules and standards;
• Coordinate the project operational arrangements through contractual agreements with key project partners;
• Arrange the operations needed for signing and executing ABS contracts, community agreements and MoUs;
• Maintain linkages with district local government departments for liaison, rapport and any other assistance required;
• On a daily basis, manage the project budget, including the monitoring of cash availability, budget preparation and budget revisions to be reviewed by the National Project Steering Committee;
• Ensure the accurate recording of all data relevant for operational, financial and results based monitoring;
• Ensure that relevant reports on expenditures, forecasts, progress against work plans, project closure, are prepared and submitted in accordance with UNEP and GEF defined procedures and reporting formats, schedules and communications channels, as required;
• Prepare quarterly advance requests to get advance funds from UNEP in the format applicable.
• Execute accurate and timely actions on all operational requirements for personnel related matters, equipment and material procurement, and field disbursements;
• Participate and represent the project in collaborative meetings with project partners and as required;
• Assist in the preparation of meetings, workshop and seminars, book meeting rooms and assure that all necessary arrangements are made;
• Be responsible for results achieved within her/his area of work and ensure issues affecting project delivery and success are brought to the attention of higher level authorities a timely manner,
• Together with the ABS NCA focal point, and in consultation with the PMU, support the organization of the mid-term and final evaluations, and provide inputs regarding project budgetary matters.
• Other tasks as requested by the PMU and carry out any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
• A bachelor's degree in Forestry, environment or Natural Resources
• Minimum of five (5) years of progressive expenence 111 environment and natural resources
• At least 3 years' experience in project management
Competencies and skills
• Strong drafting, editing, reporting and presentation skills
• Proficiency in use of computer applications and packages (Excel and word among others)
• • Excellent report writing and communication skills;
• Ability to use of computer software such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
Duty Station: Kampala at UNCST Offices, but will be required to the project field sites
Duration: Full-time (4 years, subject to project life) Remuneration is attractive
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Potential Candidates should submit applications in their own handwriting and deliver them by hand, through post office or by email enclosing copies of CERTIFIED certificates/transcripts and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) NEMA House, Plot J 71/9121 Jinja Road
To reach the above address by 5.00 pm on 10th December 2021.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.