Biodiversity Projects Engineer
Jobs at:SeaOwl Energy Services
Deadline of this Job:
01 March 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
On behalf of our Client in the Extractives sector, we are looking for a competent Biodiversity Projects Engineer to join our Team at our Clients office in Kampala in their Environment Department. The ideal candidate will be a hard-working professional able to undertake a variety of assigned tasks and work diligently under pressure. .
Reporting to the Head of Environment, the job holder will be responsible for the following tasks;
• Manage all contractors undertaking Biodiversity studies and projects ensuring that they execute their roles efficiently and participate in analysis of biodiversity data, in line with Company standards
• Ensure there is effective coordination and alignment between biodiversity projects/studies and other studies being undertaken within the company’s Environment and Social Affairs Entity, as well with partners such as Uganda Wildlife Authority, and other Government/Non-Governmental Organizations
• Act as deputy to Head of Environment to manage the Biodiversity and Livelihoods Advisory Committee on behalf of all the Operators and ensure their work fulfils the key role of advising the Operators in implementing their activities in-line with international best practices and standards, specifically International Finance Corporation (IFC) standards
• Take lead as the Biodiversity and Ecosystems services specialist in Environment and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), ensuring that aspects of Biodiversity and Ecosystems services are well incorporated into the ESIA process and that ESIA process is providing appropriate output for biodiversity strategy and No Net Loss/Net Gain (NNL/NG)
• Lead in identifying, designing and implementing biodiversity and ecosystems studies/projects, in-line with the company H3SE and Biodiversity policies, National and International legislation and International best practices such as IFC standards
• Ensure that Critical Habitat Assessment, No Net Loss/Net Gain calculations and the Restoration Plant Sourcing project are appropriately done
• Enforce development and revision of key guiding documents such as the Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan, No Net Loss/Net Gain Strategy, Biodiversity Monitoring plan, and Invasive species management plan
• Participate in planning and coordination of the restoration of impacted areas, ensuring that restoration is appropriately done to allow viable re-vegetation, to maintain the ecological integrity of the impacted areas
• Take part in regular gathering of Environment and biodiversity data in-line with agreed protocols - making constructive suggestions on how to improve these as and when appropriate- both directly when in the field, and indirectly when working with partners
• Lead in ensuring biodiversity partner/subcontractor compliance with contracts and Company standards
• Assist and deliver internally required documentation such as Biodiversity Charter, fliers, newsletters and others
• Identify and raise issues with the Head of Environment to ensure that the contractors and field team delivers to a high standard in-line with overall biodiversity objectives
• Report any activities that do not seem to fit with the proper application of the Mitigation Hierarchy to the Head of Environment
• Participate in analysis of biodiversity data in-line with experience
• Identify, and devise win-win solutions to, operational/ conservation/ wildlife tourism issues
• Ensure that appropriate specific, realistic, and robust risk assessments are developed for the field team, and by the contractors for their activities, working in conjunction with the relevant HSE Superintendent
• Lead in building an open and trusting relationship with not only the Ugandan Wildlife Authority in Kampala, and in MFNP, but also with Civil Society Organizations through their umbrella the Civil Society Coalition on Oil and Gas, through regular and open biodiversity engagements
• Lead in producing internal and external publications
• Communicate key biodiversity messages to external and internal audiences whenever required and as tasked, in-line with the Biodiversity Charter and the developing Biodiversity strategy and Action Plan
• Identify potential training needs, promote and raise awareness, at all levels of the organization, of the impact of emerging environmental issues and in particular ones associated with biodiversity, whether legislative or best practice
• Train staff at all levels in biodiversity issues and responsibilities
• Other activities which may arise and are related to the job assignment
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor of Science, in Environmental Science with a bias in Ecology, Zoology or Conservation Biology. A post graduate training in Project Planning and Management is an added advantage.
• At least 3 year's professional experience in Applied Ecology, in an operational setting (preferably oil and gas or other similar industry). Experience in project planning and management is an added advantage.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of both National and International environmental legislations, and International best practices/standards e.g. IFC, IPIECA
• Good understanding of ISO 14001Environment Management System (EMS)
• Practical experience of undertaking or participating in ESIAs is an added advantage.
• Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines
• Good Negotiation, conflict management skills.
• Good computer skills (MS office, Access, and MS Project)
• Strong report writing and analytical skills
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: 3 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
If you feel you meet the criteria as outlined above and are ready to take on this challenge, please send us your CV ONLY to:
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel.: +256 (0) 706 444 500
Subject of your email should be the position you are applying for
Do not hesitate to contact us, if you have any question or need any clarifications
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.