Chief Executive Officer
Jobs at:Uganda Solar Energy Association (USEA)
Deadline of this Job:
24 May 2021
Date Posted: Monday, May 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Organisation: Uganda Solar Energy Association (USEA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Uganda Solar Energy Association (USEA) is a private sector membership body whose role is to enable growth of the off-grid solar energy sector through coordination, information sharing, building capacity of its members and carrying out joint advocacy. USEA has a membership of more than 200 companies. USEA was incorporated in 2016 as a company limited by guarantee under the laws of the Republic of Uganda with support from Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development
Job Summary: The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for planning and execution of the association’s strategic objectives in order to achieve its strategic goals and mission. The CEO will be contracted by USEA.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensures proper corporate governance and leads the implementation of USEA’s strategic plan and activities:
• Manages effectively all aspects of USEA according to the strategic plan and annual work plan, ensuring that the delivery of outputs and activities and resource management is of high-quality and in line with timeframes and budget;
• Operationalizes proper governance structures and operational manuals;
• Ensures compliance and provides guidance to Members on the Constitution and Code of Business Practice, including spot checks, consumer hotline;
• Reports on a regular basis to the USEA Board of Directors and Members about progress achieved with the implementation of activities; ensures proper monitoring and evaluation system is in place and operational in daily work;
• Organizes Annual General Meetings, which includes advance preparation of AGM agenda and discussion materials such as progress reports, annual workplans;
• Facilitates timely procurement of goods and services for the implementation of activities working closely with the Procurement/Contracts Committee, and ensures approved procurement procedures are being followed;
• Ensures proper management and accountability of the financial resources within the budget allocations;
• Ensures corporate and regulatory compliance i.e. filling of returns, tax and social security payments.
Oversees and ensures a technically sound implementation of USEA activities that are member-driven:
• Keeps up-to-date with each Member, including conducting member perception surveys to inform member service offerings;
• Ensures member services such as sales data collection, research, business development services/training, knowledge sharing workshops/working groups, market awareness campaigns are delivered with high technical standards;
• Facilitates the organization of Advisory/Technical Committees which focus on different types of solar technology/size and delivery mechanisms, as well as Energy Africa Compact Working Groups which focus on policy, finance and business development, and consumer protection and awareness. Tasks include participation in meetings, following up with Committee/Group leads, providing technical advice, producing outcome materials, and facilitating linkages/introductions to other stakeholders that can level up the discussion beyond the immediate group;
• Drafts or provides inputs to publications, briefs, and other documents related to the development of the solar market in Uganda;
• Facilitates access to useful information for Members such as funding opportunities, market research, trainings/events, etc.
• Offers updated and accurate market intelligence to those who want to support the development of the solar sector in Uganda.
Represents the solar industry on behalf of Members in a way that enhances the credibility of the Association and the industry at large among consumers, public and private stakeholders
• Organizes industry position on pertinent issues and writes up industry position documents and key messages to push advocacy effort forward;
• Builds strategic working relationships with relevant government ministries, development partners and other entities to raise the influence/positioning of the Association in advocacy efforts;
• Participates and presents in relevant steering committees, such as Energy Africa Compact, Uganda Off-Grid Accelerator;
• Raises the visibility of USEA, its Members, and Uganda’s off-grid sector through mass communication, conferences and other promotional opportunities/materials
• Raises awareness of public/private stakeholders and general mass about the benefits and practicalities of using solar technology
• Keeps abreast with key changes in policy environment, regulations, strategic focus of development partners and market developments
Ensures sustainability of USEA activities in the mid to long term through member mobilization, strategic partnerships and fundraising
• Develops and operationalizes multi-year financial sustainability plan including membership mobilization, membership packages and pricing, and other revenue sources;
• Leads fundraising, proposal development, and contracting to deliver on USEA’s strategic and financial sustainability plan;
• Leads member mobilization;
• Develops close rapport and strategic partnerships with other industry associations, development partners, investors/funders, and others with a view to link Members with various business development opportunities;
Creates and maintains an organisational culture that attracts and builds highly motivated, collaborative and professional staff
• Leads recruitment and orientation of Secretariat staff
• Provides overall vision to and supervises the Secretariat team to provide high-quality and timely programme implementation of activities
• Oversees work distribution among staff;
• Provides staff with relevant professional development and training opportunities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The Chief Executive Officer must possess:
• A Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Environment and Natural Resources Management, Renewable Energy or a related discipline, OR a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in business administration, electrical engineering, or a related discipline with an addition of at least five (5) years of relevant work experience.
• A wide understanding of the renewable energy & power sector in Uganda and global trends
• At least 5 years management experience in national and international organisations
• Relevant experience in project/programme management, coordination, operations, administration in progressively senior & responsible managerial positions.
• Work experience in the solar industry is considered a distinct advantage.
• Work experience in business management and fundraising; multi-stakeholder coordination, networking, advocacy etc at industry, country and regional levels.
• Work experience with an industry associations an added advantage;
• Knowledgeable about and demonstrates positive relationships with relevant public and private stakeholders in the solar sector
Management and Leadership
• Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
• Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent project management skills
• Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting Strategic Partnerships
• Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to USEA
• Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their cover letters and CVs with three professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com by 24th May 2021. The email subject should be: USEA- CEO. Please note that while applications are appreciated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.