Child Protection Officer
Deadline of this Job:
05 August 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Category: Program
Duty Station: Isingiro Oruchinga Refugee Settlement, UG
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary Scale: Not Specified
Deadline: Aug 05, 2021 05:00 PM
Number of Positions: 1
Age Limit: Not Specified
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Child Protection Officer for our program in Uganda to be based in Oruchinga. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
The Child Protection Officer will be responsible for assessing, investigating and managing cases of child abuse and neglect to ensure the wellbeing of children and young people. The role involves working directly with vulnerable children who are at risk of harm or abuse, as well as working with their families and careers, to introduce measures to improve family behavior and protect children to ensure that durable solutions are sought
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Prioritize child protection issues and design prevention response programs and initiatives.
• Offer technical guidance and direction for effective planning, implementation and monitoring of agreed child protection plans including the psychosocial recovery (care) and assistance (legal and social) to vulnerable children and their families
• Develop training programs and assist in capacity building for staff and partners, possibly in priority thematic areas such as GBV, psychosocial support, child separation, and armed forces/groups
• Gather information, interview parents and children, assess whether children are in need of protection and develop recommendations and case management plans.
• Organize services for children at risk and their families, such as medical and counselling services, and refer clients to or conduct family support and parenting programs.
• Represent ALIGHT in any relevant field based thematic meetings with stakeholders and otherwise as needed.
• Participate in assessment and identification of protection gaps including Child protection, GBV issues and coordinate with protection actors to address the gaps.
• In collaboration with Legal Counselor and Psychosocial Counselors, carry out activities that contribute to reducing GBV and Child protection issues in the refugee settlements.
• Enhance networking and collaboration with local partners (government and humanitarian actors) through participation in inter-agency protection /child protection working groups at camp level; establishing and monitoring Codes of conduct; review and adopt and operationalize Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs).
• In collaboration with local leaders, Schools teachers, and other sectors, identify existing protection committees or form new child protection committees; strengthen their capacity to respond to child protection issues.
• Coordinate with Schools and local leaders in the formation and training of child right clubs, youth clubs and liaise with local leaders and School administration to create environment for child participation in issues that affect them, including reduction of Child labor.
• Carry out day to day coordination with protection network in the refugee settlements and host communities, including the Police, supporting protection committee in documenting abuse cases, referrals and management of cases.
• Carry out mobilization of key community stakeholders including protection committee, youths, women, men and host communities to participate in community awareness events/meetings.
• Supervise the work of the Child protection Assistant conducting awareness campaigns and ensure that dissemination of clear and reliable information on service provision is provided.
• Contribute in conducting needs assessments and Focus Group Discussions with the displaced and host community, particularly the most vulnerable women and children, to identify common protection needs, priorities and existing capacities within the community.
• Undertake site/field visits to verify social needs of children, evaluate their living conditions and prepare recommendations accordingly.
• Ensure that all activities are accurately documented and filed in the database.
• Provide regular feedback to the Protection Manager on progress, lessons learned, achievements, gaps, issues and problems.
• Contribute to the preparation of weekly/monthly plans and reports on activities.
• Perform any other duties assigned to you.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Social work, Social Sciences, Community Psychology, Adult and Community Education and Development studies.
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in working on Child Protection issues with an INGO
• Strong experience working with vulnerable people including survivors of GBV and victims of child abuse.
• Strong knowledge of Child Friendly interview techniques and communicating with children
• Excellent command of verbal and written English.
• Computer literacy i.e. good knowledge Word and Excel.
• Strong analytical, written and verbal skills
• Strong organizational and supervisory skills
• Excellent reporting and writing skills.
• Strong interpersonal skill and communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Apply at: https://alight.hrmagic.co/careers/apply?jobid=NzE5
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.