Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Jobs at:Aga Khan University (AKU)
Deadline of this Job:
27 March 2020
Date Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents (www.aku.edu). An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14.000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access. The positions will be based in the Aga Khan University Kampala, Uganda Applications are invited from appropriately qualified candidates for the positions of:
1. Environmental Health and Safety Manager.
Reporting to the Projects Director, the Environmental Health and Safety Manager will inspect and evaluate the environment, equipment and processes in working areas to ensure compliance with government safety regulations and industry standards. .
• Their chief goal is to ensure the safety of all those involved on the construction sites, protect the employees, customers and the environment. They identify potentially hazardous biological, chemical and radiological materials and collect samples of them for analysis.
• They recommend safety improvements to protect workers, and educate employees on how to prevent health problems through the use of safety training programs.
• They also Investigate accidents to identify their causes and find ways to prevent them in the future.
• Review and assess all designs, drawings and specifications prepared by the AKU's architects and consulting engineers.
• Act as a competent person on behalf of AKU for health and safety matters.
• Deliver a robust programme for proactive on-site Inspections to check, challenge.
• Support and guide workers in delivery of safe working practices.
• Advise Project Director on legal requirements and changes in legislation.
• Ensure that the site and the works are at all times fully compliant with all applicable local and international EHS standards.
• Work with external professional advisors, NEMA partner organizations.
• Contractors and statutory health and safety agents such as OSHA,
• Identify and report potential risks associated with Environmental Health and Safety and report to the Project Director.
• Continuous inspection of project sites, to ensure a hazard-free environment Assessment and approval of subcontractor safety plans
• Verification of tools and equipment to ensure good quality
• Promoting safe practices on site
• Creating and enforcing safety guidelines and programs
• Carrying out drills and exercises on managing emergency situations
• Conducting investigations on accidents
• Verifying that all safety reports are submitted to related government institutions
• Responding to workers' safety concerns
• Manages all communications with government departments in regards of safety
• Arranges statutory site inspections and audits
• Coordinates all issues regarding hazardous materials or waste
• Assisting with the preparation of a construction health and safety plan
• Attending project planning meetings and collaborating with Site managers
• Establishing and maintaining health and safety communication structures
• Testing effectiveness of site emergency response plans
• Continuous monitoring of all safety related documents, reports and issues to keep them updated.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Education, Skills and experience:
• Applicants should have a Master's degree in Environmental Health, Safety Engineering, or Occupational Health and must be fully qualified Health Safety and Environmental Manager with at least 10 years' relevant experience of construction and particular with experience in the Healthcare Industry.
• The incumbent should be fully conversant with construction Health and Safety and Environmental requirements for the healthcare Industry.
• S/he should be familiar with the Occupational Safety and Health Act as well as the operations of the Directorate of Occupational Safety and Health Service.
Job Education: Not Specified
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Applications together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, names of three referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of certificates and testimonials should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org so as to reach not later than 27 March 2020.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.