Jobs at:Water for people Uganda
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, 5th July 2019 at 5:00PM.
Date Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Title: Finance Manager
Department: Finance and Administration
Supervisor’s Title: Country Director
Duty Station: Kampala
POSITION OBJECTIVE: As the Finance Manager, one is required to use their skills as a professional chartered accountant to oversee the finances of the Uganda Country Programme. This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and reports to the Country Director. The Finance Manager Serves on the Country Programme leadership team.
The FM demonstrates understanding of organizational mission, vision, values, policies, procedures, and strategic goals as well as trust and teamwork in all aspects of Water For People business. The Finance Manager performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following: .
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
• Maintain the accounting system of Water for People Uganda consistent with financial regulations, rules, policies and procedures
• Maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for users such as Headquarters, funding partners, and the Regional office in accordance with accounting principles and in the case of funding partners in accordance with contract agreements with funders
• Facilitate efficient communication and process navigation between the Uganda CP, Regional office and Headquarters
• Prepare and submit as per policy monthly financial results and manage the cash flow including preparation of cash flow forecasts and wire transfer requests in accordance with policy
• Implement the financial procedures manual and ensure compliance to accounting policies and procedures by all staff
• Prepare monthly payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
• Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including filing of annual returns, submission of PAYE, NSSF and benefits remittances and other relevant taxes on time
• Prepare all supporting information for the annual external audit, internal audits and donor specific audits and liaise with the Regional finance Manager, Headquarters and the external auditors as necessary
• Reconcile bank and investment accounts
• Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
• Negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans
• Prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Country Director, Program Manager and Regional Finance and Administration Manager
• Assist the Country Director and Programme Manager with the preparation of budgets for funding applications
• Maintain financial records for each project including incountry funded projects in a manner that facilitates monthly management reports
• Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized
• Effectively handle banking relationships, including negotiation of exchange rates
• Maintain and oversee financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries and petty cash
• Oversee the Documentation and maintenance of complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
• Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
• Assist the partners of Water for people –Uganda as needed
• Supervise Finance assistant and ensure she/he effectively carries out her duties
CORE COMPETENCIES& VALUES:
• Transparency: ensure honesty in own behavior and the behavior of others that is consistent with the values of the organization.
• Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Trust: Build trust in the teams you work with, trust coworkers to be authentic in their work and dealings
• Problem solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Collaboration: Be consistently accountable to co-workers
• Learning and teaching: Seek to continually learn from others, and pass on the baton by teaching others to enhance their effectiveness
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Finance/Accounting
• Certified/Chartered Accountant fully qualified in ACCA /CPA
• 8 to 10 years in a Managerial role in Accounting or Finance departments.
• Minimum 5 years nonprofit accounting/finance experience.
• Knowledge of accounting software, preferably NetSuite
• Understanding of the principles and practices of accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
• Experience in complex multi-currency transactions a plus.
• Able to meet tight deadlines; must be able to work overtime periodically Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated team leadership skills
• High level of attention to detail, self-motivated
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards and GAAP
• Knowledge of companies Act, Income tax act and labor laws of Uganda
• Proficiency in the use of computer programs for Accounting and Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Standard work week of 40 hrs
• Normal office environment with occasional travel to support partners in different regions where country programs are run
• May be required to work some overtime hours to attend meetings with Headquarters and the Regional office and during specific periods of the accounting cycle such as the Annual Audit..
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Commerce
Job Experience Requirements: 5 years nonprofit accounting
Job application procedure
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
NOTE: ONLY CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS SHOULD APPLY.
CV, Cover Letter and Academic Documents as a one PDF attachment should be sent to UGARecruit@waterforpeople.org
Deadline for submission is Friday, 5th July 2019 at 5:00PM.