- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Gender Adviser- Electoral Commission
Jobs at:UN Women
Deadline of this Job:
02 June 2020
Date Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Women’s leadership and political participation is one of UN Women’s primary work as mandated in its inception, recognizing the integral role of women in strong and stable democratic processes. To promote the leadership and participation of women in strong and stable democratic processes, UN Women works to promote gender equality in Parliaments, Electoral Bodies, Political Parties and other institutions. .
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide technical support to the Electoral Commission (EC) to develop programme strategies that promote International best practices and principles in promoting gender equality in electoral processes.
• Provide technical support and capacity development to the EC staff during the implementation and management of the Electoral support programme.
• Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies.
• Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on electoral support to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other agencies implementing the programme.
• Coordinate review and engendering of election tools and materials including civic and voter education materials and communication materials.
• Offer technical advice and coordinate mainstreaming of gender within the EC's policies and programmes including designing strategies for the EC to increase women's participation in the electoral process and administration.
• Facilitate multi stakeholder dialogues with CSOs, Police, Government ministries and Political Parties with the aim of promoting women’s participation in elections. • Provide inputs to knowledge building and communication materials for election support through the EC media center.
• Monitor and write progress reports on implementation of electoral support activities and finances using results-based management tools;
• Provide regular updates to UN Women on progress indicators for gender mainstreaming in the EC
• Any other duties related to the assignment on behalf of UN Women.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
• Development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights
• Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
• Knowledge and understanding of sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches
• Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Ability to undertake research, analyze data, make recommendations and write draft reports on sustainable development issues.
• Knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
• Ability to maintain networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies on sustainable development issues.
• Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
• Good knowledge of gender equality and SDGs
• Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, International Development Studies, Gender/Women’s studies, Law, or any related area.
• A first-level university degree in combination with five additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Additional training in gender and electoral management would be an added advantage
• Minimum 7 years of experience in development work with specific focus on women and governance of which 3 years should have been on programming for women’s effective participation in elections.
• Professional experience in implementing gender responsive electoral processes.
• Experience in dealing with policy makers and senior technical specialists
• Experience and understanding of the various stages of the electoral cycle
• Understanding of the mandate of the Electoral Commission
• Extensive knowledge of the political landscape in Uganda.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
• Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;
Job Education: Advanced University degree in Social Sciences
Job Experience: Minimum 7 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
To apply for this job visit https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=91768
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.