Internal Risk Management Group Safeguarding Advisor
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
24 March 2020
Date Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The IRMG Safeguarding Advisor will provide technical leadership and management on activities to support IRMG members to improve Safeguarding practices. Working closely with the IRMG Steering Committee the IRMG Safeguarding Advisor will take direct responsibility for ensuring all activities related to improvements in safeguarding for INGO and NGO members are completed on time, on scope and on budget and ensure accountability to Mercy Corps policies and donor rules and regulations. The safe guarding advisor will coordinate closely with the MEL Advisor at Mercy Corps to ensure appropriate MEL activities are planned, ensuring that analysis of data coming from the ground feeds into the learning agenda for the programs, and ensures higher level impact for program beneficiaries. He/she will report and work closely with the IRMG Project Manager, Safeguarding technical consultant, CARM officer and Safe guarding investigators .
Essential Job Responsibilities
Technical Leadership on Activities to support IRMG members to improve Safeguarding Practices
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to complete the Benchmark review on management of safeguarding (SHEA and prevention of child abuse) in the Ugandan context
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to carry out an assessment of specific internal risk management concerns for local NGOs to supplement the already existing assessment for INGOs, and adaptation of guidelines based on these.
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to contextualize the Global Inter-Agency Safeguarding and SHEA prevention and response guidelines for Uganda
• Work closely with the technical safeguarding consultant to do Review of the UN Inter-Agency Prevention of SEA Action Plan and the review of UNHCR’s Refugee Feedback, Referral and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM)
• Coordinate dissemination of assessment of safeguarding practices and guidance among IRMG members in Uganda
• Facilitate awareness raising sessions and training to increase INGO capacity to prevent, mitigate and respond to risks. This will include working with training providers to adapt/develop curriculum taking into account the needs and priorities of INGOs of varying sizes. This will prioritize topics coming as priorities in the benchmarking, and may also include co-investigator training for safeguarding incidents.
• Facilitate awareness raising sessions and training to increase local NGO capacity to prevent, mitigate and respond to risks. This will include working with training providers to adapt/develop curriculum taking into account the needs and priorities of INGOs of varying sizes.
• Ongoing advisory support by IRMG Safeguarding Advisor to IRMG member NGOs on how to set up strong and effective safeguarding systems based on self-audit benchmarking process and best practices and agencies own technical advisory services on this topic;
• Support advocacy by the group to a wide range of donors and UN agencies.
• Support INGOs to establish a community of practice of safeguarding focal points within the different agencies, to focus on knowledge exchange and capacity building, as well as being a mechanism by which the IRMG safeguarding advisor can check in on progress as a group against the uptake of best safeguarding practices as outlined in the benchmark review and self-audits (taking care to be aligned with each agency’s own technical advisory services and priorities), and identifying and addressing challenges that are being faced by safeguarding focal points within agencies
• Other activities as agreed by the IRMG Steering Committee and in line with project scope, budget and timeframe.
Partnership Management/ External Representation
• Work closely with the IRMG project manager, Chair and Co-Chair of the IRMG Steering Committee to coordinate and prepare for communication related to safeguarding between the IRMG and donors, the Ugandan Government and other stakeholders
• Active engagement with the UNHCR led Steering Committee on Refugee Feedback, Referral and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM) and the common system that UNHCR plans to pilot in a number of settlements.
• Coordinate information dissemination and advocacy workshops with targeted messaging to various stakeholders
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps.
Support Safeguarding within Mercy Corps
• Champion Safeguarding policies and accompanying policy guidance support materials and assist in promoting prevention of sexual misconduct, sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) - and provide support as required to MC Safeguarding focal points and safeguarding trained co-investigators.
• Support safeguarding focal points and CARM officer to ensure programs and operations are integrating Safeguarding measures, including carrying out third party training, and support on developing policies and reporting mechanisms
• Act as a resource to senior management as they work to fulfill their responsibilities and obligations under Mercy Corps’ and donor’s safeguarding policies and response mechanisms
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
• Coordinate data gathering and management as required to ensure activities related to Safeguarding awareness raising are captured in the programs MEL systems.
• Use data from monitoring to inform decision making on the program to maximize effectiveness and impact.
• As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities. Project Manager is responsible for ensuring that other staff are able to engage in this organizational learning and career development opportunities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Directly Supervises: N/A
Works closely with: IRMG Steering Committee Members, Safeguarding Technical Consultant, IRMG member agencies, MC Safeguarding focal points, CARM Officer and Safeguarding Co-investigators, and the MEL, Finance, Operations, HR and Internal Risk Management Departments at Mercy Corps.
Success Factors: • A strong leader and team player, with good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, tact and ability to achieve results collaboratively with individuals not under supervisory control.
• Demonstrate exemplary professional standard of ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures and external regulations
• Individual should be approachable, discreet and confidential.
• Excellent analytical and information management skills.
• Good organizational skills and ability to work under stress
• Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving.
• Attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
• Proven excellence maintaining professional internal and external relationships.
• A focus on building staff capacity
• Understanding and strong belief in the importance of safeguarding
Qualifications, Knowledge and experience
• The position will be open to national and international candidates with strong skills and a proven track record at a senior level in risk management or a related field.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required (this could include law, social work, conflict resolution, international relations, development studies, international humanitarian law, peace and security or other) and an advanced degree is a plus.
• 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization implementing international programs.
• Proven project management experience is as advantage
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of local community and culture • History of exhibiting impartial and empathetic behavior in the workplace
• Demonstrated knowledge and interest in Safeguarding, and a sensitivity to cultural diversity, equity, inclusion and gender issues
• Demonstrated experience working directly with local communities
• Demonstrated experience working directly with institutional donors on safeguarding issues
• Experienced in delivering training or mobilising capacity building initiatives with professionals in the NGO sector
• Strong background in compliance, safeguarding and internal controls; experience in investigating wrongful conduct preferred.
• Thorough understanding of aid accountability, codes of conduct, and principles around protection and safeguarding.
• Ability to work with various administrative and program levels in the organization;
• Strong organizational and research skills with a broad understanding of various program sectors and activities;
• Extensive knowledge of compliance and safeguarding donor rules, regulations including USAID, ECHO, DFID, UN, etc is an advantage.
• Skilled in collecting, synthesizing and analyzing and disseminating information.
Job Education: Not Specified
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.