- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Laboratory Technologist (Makerere)
Jobs at:Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Deadline of this Job:
27 March 2020
Date Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit biomedical research organization whose mission is to mitigate disease threats through quality research, health care and disease surveillance. MUWRP was established in 2002 by a Memorandum of Agreement between The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) and Makerere University (Mak) to undertake medical research to test HIV vaccines.
Over the years, MUWRP's portfolio has progressively expanded to include vaccine research for Ebola and Marburg viruses, Emerging Infectious Diseases Program (EIDP) for surveillance of influenza and influenza-like viruses and other emerging infections in humans and animals; also a PEPFAR funded program in HIV treatment, care and prevention in the districts of Kayunga, Mukono, Buvuma and Buikwe.
Additionally, MUWRP in collaboration with local and international partners is implementing The Joint Mobile Emerging Disease Intervention Clinical Capability (MEDICC) program in Uganda whose purpose is to conduct FDA regulated clinical trials of therapeutics or diagnostics during an outbreak event of high consequence pathogens specifically filoviruses.
MUWRP seeks to fill the following positions:
No. : MUWRP/03/01
Location: MUK COVAB;
Position Summary: The incumbent will serve as a Microbiology laboratory technologist for the EID -MUWRP laboratories located in Makerere COVAB, Kampala. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to support collection of samples, undertaking microbiology culture and antibiotic sensitivity testing for animal samples. The candidate will also support other Anti-Microbial Resistance (AMR) surveillance sites in sample processing, supervising the sites to ensure QA/QC is maintained, data and reports are submitted in time and isolates are preserved and maintained in accordance with established SOPs. The candidate will also prepare isolates for sharing partners in accordance with IATA. The incumbent may be required to assist the senior staff in teaching new technologists/technicians and volunteer students in laboratory practices. The incumbent may be required to perform their duties away from the main MUWRP lab in Kampala. MUWRP may have sites within Uganda which Technologists may be required to work such as but not limited to Bundibugyo/Kayunga .
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning, including registration of specimens into the Laboratory Information Management system (LIMS), preparation of samples for both testing and storage and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight.
• Proficiently perform sample processing and testing using various testing algorithms at EIDL as established by the SOPs for each assay.
• Proficiently perform QA/QC procedures, maintain and enforce all SOPs as well as equipment maintenance and troubleshooting as may be required.
• Have knowledge of basic laboratory safety rules and equipment including identification of precautions for and emergency response to biological, chemical, electrical, mechanical and physical hazards.
• Work independently and/or with others, collect and transport samples from various surveillance sites using proper sample handling protocol as may be required. Samples collection may involve going on water, climbing rocky areas, lifting, visiting marshy areas. Markets, farms and other hazardous sites.
• Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
• Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Required Education and Knowledge:
• Bachelor’s Degree in biomedical laboratory technology, Bachelors in medical laboratory
• Sciences or any related science laboratory field.
• At least a minimum of 5years’ experience working in a busy biomedical research environment. Demonstrated experience in bacterial culture and sensitivity is highly desirable.
• Must be aware of the logistical requirements and should always be conscious of proper operation of Laboratory equipment and safety.
• Occasionally, new Laboratory activities may be introduced and the incumbent may be requested to train and become competent in the new assays, equipment and / or protocols. Physical Ability: The candidate should have the ability to travel to program sentinel sites for sample collection within the country as may be required. Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate. The incumbent will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors. The incumbent is also expected to sit for extended periods of time.
Supervisory Controls: The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Senior Laboratory Technologist or designee as mutually agreed upon with the Research Scientist.
Job Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Experience: 5 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join MUWRP in the aforementioned capacities should access the detailed Job descriptions on www.muwrp.org/careers and apply online, Deadline: 27 March 2020. ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.