- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Jobs at:African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
Deadline of this Job:
14 February 2020
Date Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Post: Medical Officer
Supervisor: Co-Principal Investigator
Duty Station: Lacor Hospital-Gulu
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit organization established in 2005 with a mission to improve human health through the strengthening and expansion of applied epidemiology and laboratory capacity in partnership with Ministries of Health, Non-Governmental Organizations, international agencies, private sector and other public health agencies. AFENET has its headquarters in Kampala, Uganda with operations in more than 30 African Countries to advance their capabilities in early detection and response to infectious and non-infectious diseases.
AFENET works to strengthen epidemiological and disease survillance capabilities of African countries that are critical to meeting the requirements of the integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy, and the International Health Regulations (IHR). AFENET has received a grant from Oxford University which is funded/sponsored the National Institute for Health Research (the “Funder") under the Research and innovation for Global Health Transformation (RIGHT) Programme (the “Award") Reference: MHR200133 for the project entitled “Evaluation and Transfer of mobile whole slide tissue scanners and liquid biopsies to deliver fast and precise diagnosis for improved outcomes of children and young adults with EBV-driven lymphoma: a joint Tanzanian and Ugandan Paediatric Oncology Network lnitiative.” (the “Project“).
Oxford, AFENET, Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) and Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre
The Good Samaritan Foundation of ranranla (KCMG) (togathar tho “Collaborating Bliss") were on applicants on the Award proponl In tanner of AFENET a role as it cositppllcant, St. Mary's Hospital Lacor is the Study lmplementing site.
In advancing the cause for a Healthier Africa AFENET seeks to fill this position of a Medical Officer with a competent person to execute the highlighted responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Day-to-day cover for all clinical aspects ct the EBVL study including but not limited to proband examination, informed consent procedure, scan reviews, bone marrow examination, sample and data collection, serious adverse event documentation and reporting and administration of state-of-the-art therapies including rituximab.
During the course of the programme, the Post holder will be involved in the clinical interpretation of the diagnostics test, participate in multidisciplinary tumour board meetings with the paediatric oncology network in Tanzania, analyse research data with collaborators and facilitate patient and public engagement events.
Grant applications and publications
The officer will support the translational research rogrammes and collaborating partners and contribute to preparation of grant applications to support this translational research.
He/she will be responsible for initiating, supervising and participating in monitoring research publications and to present his/her work in scientiﬁc meetings.
• Ensure that accurate and complete audit trails of records, both at a consent, sample and at a project level, are kept and meet the needs of the programme, including compliance to relevant information governance and data security policies as well as NIHR reporting
• Day to day management of all operations Including weekly operational management meeting to review progress, identity delays and significant obstacles, and reporting to the Prngraniuie manager, Cl, co-applicants, stakeholder and steering committees.
• Provide assistance with organisation and coordination of training workshops including the generation of online training modules, organisation of awareness and policy workshops that include patients and policy makers from Tanzania and Uganda
• Provide scientific expertise when appropriate and retain sufficient flexibility and adaptability to ensure full contribution to improving services in response to changing and emerging methodologies and priorities.
Minimum Academic Qualifications
• Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBcHB), Masters in Public Health (MPH) or a specialist in pediatrics with experience in hematology or oncology is an added advantage.
• Member Ugandan Medical Council registered Medical Practitioner (or eligible tor registration)
• Research experience with training in Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training and/or human subject protection or research ethics training will be an advantage.
• Demonstrable experience of staﬁ management and motivation
• Excellent organizational skills
• Experience ot the ability to work under pressure and maintain concentration for prolonged periods.
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Evidence of the ability to prioritize and manage conflicting activities and to work as part of a team.
• Excellent computer skills
• Evidence of active participation in conferences and scientiﬁc meetings
• Enthusiastic, hardworking and a team player
• Self-conﬁdent and emotionally resilient
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Submit your resume, application letter, and relevant documentation to: The Administration and HR Office email; email@example.com
ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an Interview.
Please note that all applications should be sent online by 5:30pm (EAT) Friday February 14, 2020.
Note: More details about this position can be obtained from our website: www.afenet.net
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.