- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
11 July 2020
Date Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Mercy Corps is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of MEL Assistant that supports the implementation of a project in Rhinocamp.
The project will be implemented in Rhinocamp Settlement located in the West-Nile Region of Uganda, bordering South Sudan. Rhinocamp is home to 120,108 mostly South Sudanese refugees (30,337 households). The vast majority (82%) are women and children. The objective of the project is improved food security among smallholder farmers, in particular women, in refugee and host communities during the COVID-19 pandemic in Rhinocamp Settlement. Working together with agro-agents and strengthening the local agro-agent network will improve the supply of certified seeds and other agricultural inputs to and from the settlement. Agro-dealers/seed suppliers outside the settlements will use the agro-agents to ease distribution of seeds to the farmers. 1,300 (70% female) smallholder farmers will receive a cash transfer via mobile money or a one-time voucher to procure seed varieties via an established agro-agent network using agro-input dealers. In addition, Mercy Corps will work with our local partner CTEN, a refugee-led organization with experience in awareness campaigns and peacebuilding and with the capacity to effectively reach the most vulnerable populations in the settlements. COVID-19 awareness campaigns will reduce the spread of misinformation about the virus and combat the stigmatization of those affected/suspected to be affected. They will lead to a better understanding of measures to be taken to prevent contagion of the virus and greater social cohesion. The engagement of women’s groups will increase their experience in leadership and facilitation.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps is looking for an experienced, qualified candidate to fill the position of MEL assisting. Reporting to the Senior MEL officer, the MEL assistant will support all MEL related activities in Rhinocamp. The position will be based in Rhinocamp close the field of operation. The MEL assistant makes sure that the program assures program quality, accountability, documentation and learning. The MEL assistant will be responsible for supporting the supervisor to oversee the monitoring and data collection of a project, lead regular and annual field-based household and group interviews, analyze data to provide insights to the program team, and contribute to report writing. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented..
Essential Job Responsibilities
1. Essential functions
• Under guidance of Senior MEL officer participate in all MEL monitoring and evaluation activities included market assessment, price monitoring and baseline/endline data gathering needs.
• Support the development of all MEL tools
• Support in setting up a Community Accountability and Response Mechanism (CARM) within the community.
• Support the supervisor in coordinating and leading components of the baseline and final evaluation.
• Support development of the logframe, theory of change and indicator plan
• Perform spot checks on the program activities, identify learnings to improve on program implementation.
• Support data collection activities including post-training monitoring and post distribution monitoring. Continuous improvement of activities will be expected based on this information.
• Prepare and submit weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports that will be indicative of program progress during implementation. Respond to queries if and when necessary.
• Ensure adherence to program management minimum standards in carrying out his/her duties, advising and supporting other staff in the same as required.
• If necessary support the MEL team in other projects in West-Nile if required.
• Support in maintaining a proper filing system with activity reports, attendance lists and pictures.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Uganda and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
1. Accountability to Beneficiaries: Al Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to direct program participants, engaging them as equal partners in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of our field activities.
2. Organizational Learning: As part of Mercy Corps Uganda’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit the program as well as themselves.
3. Any other related duties assigned
Reports Directly to: Senior MEL officer
Works Directly with: Program team, finance, and operation teams
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Knowledge and Experience
• Diploma in relevant field: statistics, social sciences, economics, business administration or in any other related field.
• At least 2 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of agricultural livelihoods programs
• Good understanding and skills at data management
• Strong community mobilization skills a must.
• Good writing, communication, organization, prioritization skills.
• Good (English) verbal and written communication skills preferred.
• Computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
• Strong knowledge of mobile data collection tools and best practices.
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Excellent teamwork abilities and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm as well as a willingness to learn and to be continually adaptive within a dynamic and often self-directed working environment mandatory.
• Proactive, problem-solving action orientation is essential.
• Able and willing to drive a motorbike safely on a daily basis (Having a valid license is required).
• Speaking a local language is preferable: e.g. Lugbara, Kakwa, Arabic etc
Job Education: Not Specified
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.