Programme Policy Officer (System Strengthening),NOA (127504)
Jobs at:World Food Programme (WFP)
Deadline of this Job:
29 October 2020
Date Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Programme Policy Officer (System Strengthening) NOA to be based in Arua. The selected candidate will be employed on Fixed Term
The SIDA SP programme has a strong focus on strengthening National and District Capacities to effectively deliver Social Protection interventions. The Systems Strengthening Officer will provide technical leadership and assistance with emphasis on strengthening social protection systems and building capacity of the District Local Governments (DLGs) in RHDs. As a member of SIDA SP Technical Team, the Advisor will ensure technical excellence through contributions made to project implementation, delivery, monitoring and evaluation with a focus on Enhanced DLG Capacities to Plan, Budget, Deliver, Lobby and Advocate for SP Financing. S/he will support the implementation of learning agendas, tool development and relevant strategic initiatives including supporting the Decentralized Planning Processes at Sub County Levels. The Advisor will liaise closely with technical advisors from other sectors to ensure seamless quality programming. Finally, the Advisor will be responsible for sharing WFP’s comparative advantage (on Capacity Strengthening), information, and experiences in Social Protection Programming within and outside the organization, as well as incorporate a broad-based approach for the overall well-being of those impacted.
To support the implementation of learning agendas, tool development and relevant strategic initiatives including supporting the Decentralized Planning Processes at Sub County Levels. The Advisor will liaise closely with technical advisors from other sectors to ensure seamless quality programming. .
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• He/she will be responsible for mainstreaming the application of the Corporate Country Capacity Strengthening Framework in Arua Area Office operations. This will be achieved through a combination of technical support, systems strengthening, partnership enhancement and documentation expertise.
• More specifically, he/she will coordinate and support the implementation of capacity strengthening, including but not limited to i) lead on the finalization of Social Protection Local Government and Partner Workplans in alignment with Country office and on the review of existing FLAs; ii) lead on the adaptation of tools and frameworks for capacity strengthening.
• He/she will facilitate the capacity-building of staff and partners through training measures, i.e. providing technical assistance both remotely and on-the-ground to field-offices across Arua Area Office in application of approaches, including coordination and support of specialized training formats.
• Establish a monitoring mechanism to capture WFP operations’ impact on capacity strengthening at DLG, Sub County and Community Level. ▪ Document capacity strengthening best practices while at the same time supporting the revision of Capacity Strengthening tools and processes.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES CONTINUED
• Document capacity strengthening best practices while at the same time supporting the revision of Capacity Strengthening tools and processes.
• Coordinate partnership with relevant stakeholders specialized in capacity strengthening expertise (NGOs, private sector, academics, etc.) in line with DLGs and WFP priorities.
• Advise project staff on technical issues related to SP programs such as financing, coordination and referral mechanisms, SP workforce development, with an emphasis on providing comprehensive support at the community and household level..
• Support program efforts by providing guidance and hands-on support in conducting assessments, advising on partnerships and strategies.
• Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the work plan capacity building related activities and provide input into the development, on-going management and maintenance of the work plan.
• Provide technical support to partners and government counterparts to implement social protection system strengthening activities and to ensure that agreed targets are met.
• Collaborate with relevant international development, donor and research institutions through relationship building, information sharing, and representation on Social Protection system strengthening.
• Stay abreast of state-of-the-art developments in quality and innovations related to SP system strengthening and share relevant information as appropriate
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Advanced university degree in one of the following disciplines: Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Relations, or a related field.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant, progressively responsible professional experience in project management, humanitarian or development project implementation, office management, and/or knowledge management.
• Experience designing and implementing institutional capacity development programs is essential.
• Facilitating and coordinating multi-stakeholder planning processes.
• Knowledge of change management theory and best practices.
• Takes initiative and consistently drives for high quality performance for self and colleagues.
• Excellent writing and speaking English abilities; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Experience speaking professionally in front of groups and facilitating high-level meetings.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (professional level).
• Willingness to travel regularly and in difficult circumstances.
• Leadership qualities and ability to create synergies where applicable.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
• Understanding of social protection programming priorities, strategies and monitoring and evaluation tools and systems.
• Technical expertise in principals, theories, concepts and techniques in the area of social protection systems strengthening, including knowledge of and ability to integrate across related disciplines
• Knowledgeable of National Social Protection Programme in Uganda is an added advantage.
Job Education Requirements: Advanced university degree
Job Experience: Seven (7) years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Use the link below to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.