Public Sector Institutional Strengthening Manager
Jobs at:Cardno International Development (ID)
Deadline of this Job:
25 June 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Cardno International Development (ID) manages a number of donor-funded programs throughout the world and engages in international development as a holistic, multidisciplinary and integrated process. Strengthened by our geographic and market diversity, we are committed to providing innovative and integrated solutions that create opportunities for significant, lasting change in emerging economies. Collaborating with multilateral and bilateral donors, private clients, governments and communities to develop sustainable solutions to complex challenges, we work with local counterparts to achieve meaningful impact. Cardno has implemented more than 120 projects in Uganda.
Cardno is implementing the five-year (2021-2026) USAID-funded Feed the Future Uganda Institutional and Systems Strengthening (ISS) Activity. The goal of the Activity is for key national level Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and industry apex organizations (IAOs) that are vital to driving inclusive agriculture-led economic growth to fulfill their mandate, leading to pathways to prosperity, improved resilience, and better nutrition for the people of Uganda. The purpose of the Activity is to improve the performance and structures of MDAs and IAOs. This purpose will be achieved through the following four objectives: (1) Improve the internal processes of selected MDAs and IAOs, making them more responsive to the needs of their consumers, members, and the general public; (2) Improve the policy framework that supports the functionality of selected MDAs and IAOs; (3) Strengthen key capacity elements of select MDAs and IAOs to perform their mandates; and (4) Strengthen the “structures” or key vertical and horizontal linkages within, between and among institutions so that they work together more effectively to achieve their goals.
• Orient priority MDAs on application of the PICAL tool (Participatory Institutional Capacity and Learning) to inform institutional performance assessments.
• Design and deliver institutional capacity building programs to meet MDA needs and the Activity. This shall involve identification, nurturing and leveraging the expertise of institutions mandated to support capacity development for public sector organizations.
• Convene communities of practice among beneficiary MDAs to share experiences and progress made with implementation of PICAL assessment action plans.
• Ensure delivery of project’s deliverables and achievement of project objectives;
• Strongly collaborate with the Private Sector engagement Manager to ensure strong synergy between the MDAs and the IOA.
• Champion the ISS Activity collaboration agenda with public sector organization. The position shall involve supporting the COP to negotiate and build shared value partnerships that enable the success of the ISS Activity.
• Identify reform champions and develop a strategy for coalition-building efforts.
• Organize and facilitate public-private dialogues on important agriculture policy issues, including helping to strengthen multi-stakeholder dialogue platforms, strengthening Ugandan MDAs and IAOs’ ability to host joint platforms.
• In close consultation with the communication manager support MDAs strengthen information dissemination to target stakeholders across the sector.
• In collaboration with other team members, provide training and consulting to MDAs on the policy reform cycle, evidence-based advocacy, public-private dialogue, strategic communications, and monitoring implementation of reforms; provide inputs for other trainings for IAO Staff.
• In collaboration with MEL and other technical team members, strengthen data and monitoring to ensure that activities are tracked and appropriate response strategies are implemented;
• Analyze and report on program and Activity progress and contribute to the Activity’s learning agenda.
• Contribute to annual work planning, training plans, quarterly reports and other required technical reports. Stay up-to date on global best practices, new developments and emerging issues in private sector engagement, public private dialogue, strengthening IAOs, and linking institutions
• Contribute to research needs of the Activity.
• Master’s degree in field related to public policy and management, international relations, political science, law, Organizational development or development studies.
• Five (5) years or more of professional experience engaging with Government institutions at the Macro level in the fields of institutional strengthening, policy reform, agriculture, economic reform, and/or business process management.
• Previous experience supporting USAID funded projects or other development organizations on projects and programs.
• Demonstrated experience conducting institutional assessments to inform process improvement in the public sector.
• Ability to work well in a team and with minimum supervision.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Oral and written fluency in English.
• Only Ugandan citizens preferred.
Estimated Period of Performance:
The opening is a full-time position and will require staff time of 40 hours a week.
Estimated Level of Effort:
This is a long-term position based in Kampala, Uganda, with intermittent travel throughout the country.
The Public Sector Institutional Strengthening Manager will report to the Institutional Strengthening and Advocacy Director.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.