Deadline of this Job:
13th August 2020
Date Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is owned by the Federal republic of Germany with International operations in Uganda, GIZ Implements commissions for the German government and other national and international, public and private sector clients within the framework of the international Cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Government of Uganda. GIZ is seeking for a competent person to fill the vacant position of senior accountant.
Job Title: Senior Accountant GIZ - Country Office
Reports to Head of Accounts
Job Location: Kampala
Ref No: GIZ-CO/SA/072045 .
Key Responsibilities: The accountant provides support in;
• Dealing with all questions arising in this area.
• Identifying relevant problems and issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented solutions.
• Further developing instruments and assisting in introducing innovation and change. Managing knowledge by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information.
The accountant performs the following tasks:
Specific Tasks Journal bookings.
• Journal entries (bookings) of vouchers in WINPACCS accounting software daily for the assigned projects.
• Producing monthly end of period reports before set deadlines.
• Ensuring that vouchers booked in journals conform to P+R standards and requirements e.g. use of proper criginal vouchers, proper cost category allocations and proper assignment of accounts i.e costs and receivables. "The bookkeeper must therefore post according to the schedule of accounts. The wishes of the officer responsible for the commission are irrelevant" (Internal Control guide 2018 p.g 48). • Checking whether submitted vouchers comply with lavss, regulations and Generally Accepted Accounting Standards and inform the head of department immediately on suspected diversion for further action.
• Review of vouchers to confirm compliance with internal controls to avoid possible cases of fraud and collusion.
• Giving monthly feedback to projects on the quality of vouchers submitted and supporting them to improve on their quality of work.
• Monitoring of unsettled items (receivables and liabilities) in their respective journals and project numbers (apart from those arising from contracts) on a monthly basis and giving support in following up of the unsettled items.
• Properly filing and archiving of booked vouchers according to PAR requirements and in compliance with the local laws
Specifically, the Accountant is responsible for bookings for projects journals assigned by the supervisor. Verification of payment requests and accountabilities from partners (Local Subsidies). With a high degree of prudence, the accountant,
• Is responsible for checking for conformance to P+R standards i.e.
a. Checks for adherence to internal control procedures.
b. Check for proof of delivery of goods and provision of service as per procurement requirements.
c. Checks for proper authorisations and segregation of duties.
d. Performs arithmetical checks
e. Confirming that all documents submitted are in original and the required regulations have been met in case copies are submitted.
• Checks for compliance with contractual obligations.
• Checks for compliance with local laws and regulations e.g. deduction and submission of taxes to the relevant authorities.
• Checks for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Give support to other staff and partners regarding accountability requirements were necessary.
• Follows up with projects on long overdue receivables and liabilities arising from local subsidy contracts on a quarterly basis.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Standing in for other accountants while they are away.
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
• Bachelor's in business administration, Accounting, Commerce, Economics or related area
• Professional certifications (ACCA, CPA, etc) is an added advantage
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in this area with reputable organisations.
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Basic knowledge of accounting software.
• Good working knowledge of TC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g.MS Office).
• Good knowledge of English language.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision,
• Ability to work under pressure/tight deadlines,
• Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply online on www.futureoptions.org or by email firstname.lastname@example.org Application and CV should be in one document and a maximum of 4 pages only.
Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. No other attachments are required at this stage. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 13th August 2020. We encourage women, people with disabilities consulting for future and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.
GIZ DOES NOT charge any kind of FEE(s) at whichever stage of the recruitment process.
This recruitment is ONLY through Future Options Consulting Ltd,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.