Jobs at:Marie Stopes
Deadline of this Job:
21 October 2020
Date Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The purpose of this role is to help secure new donor funding, manage donor compliance, monitor progress of grants against Key Performance Indicators and spend against budget to ensure strong stewardship of donor funding. The role will support grant-funded project implementation, and will lead grant planning, reporting and donor audit at Marie Stopes while ensuring a close and collaborative working relationship with Project Implementation Leads and Directorates. The post is key in ensuring that Marie Stopes suffers no financial losses or damage to its reputation in the management of grants and to ensuring sustainability through securing new funding streams.
The Grants Manager works in a virtual Project Management team with key Finance, RME, Clinical Quality, Implementation Leads including Channel Heads and reports to the Grants Director. S/he is part of the Grants Directorate.
The overall purpose of the Grant Management Unit is the oversight and provision of proactive support in ensuring proper stewardship of Marie Stopes’ assets to achieve agreed strategy and long term financial sustainability..
Project and Organisational Budgeting and Planning
• Lead budget compilation at the project proposal stage. Review budgets and assist with amendments and forecasts before submission to donors.
• Ensure that contribution to MS support/running costs is maximized in the development of project or funding proposals.
• Lead the phasing of project budgets and designing a pattern of project spends that aligns with approved delivery plans/milestones
• Take an active role in the development /incorporation of project and funder dimensions to the organizational budgets including annual business plans.
Grant Accounting & Management
• In liaison with the Director of Grants and the Finance Director, interact effectively with donors and LSO donor teams, regarding a variety of issues, such as budget revisions, income requests, donor compliance and project implementation progress.
• Translate project contracts into clear compliance requirements and deliverable deadlines including reporting deadlines.
• Monitor performance against Key Performance Indicators and against work plans to ensure projects are on track to meet donor and grant deliverables.
• Monitor actual expenditure against budget to ensure spend is in line with work plans.
• Analyse project transactions with Implementation Leads on a monthly basis to review coding to ensure spend is allowable, align activities with costs and identify actions required for potential over or under expenditure.
• Produce accurate and timely monthly comparative project reports that are circulated to Implementation Leads, the Grants Director and other relevant staff that alerts management of the progress of the projects.
• Coordinate inputs from Implementation Leads to produce high quality donor narrative reports that use donor compliant language.
• Organise and participate in monthly meetings with Implementation Leads to review monthly Project reports against budgets
• Alert the Finance Director to risks from over/under expenditure, late reporting, control weaknesses or non-compliance with other donor guidelines.
• Monitor project performance to ensure projects are on track against KPIs. This includes monitoring project deliverables, budgets, spend against budget, and appropriate coding and cost recovery against each grant and raising any areas of concern to the Director(s)
• Be familiar with relevant donor regulations and rules, as well as MSI policies and procedures, and ensure project implementation is compliant with these regulations, policies, and procedures
• Minimise disallowed expenditures and potential loses to MS through active monitoring of expenditure types, procurement processes, documentation and adherence to reporting deadlines
• Ensure compliance with the financial and other requirements of donors through monitoring and support visits to the field. Initiate internal audits as may be necessary.
• Oversight of an orderly and up to date filing system for all grant key documents including submitted funding proposals, donor agreements, budgets, logframes, narrative and financial reports, key donor correspondence.
Donor Reporting (Financial)
• Support Finance to prepare monthly, interim and final Financial Donor reports timely and accurately as per Donor reporting requirements with funders. Liaise with the Project Implementers on any issues that may arise promptly.
• Work with finance to ensure the integrity of financial donor reports by validating the coding of both income and expenditure transactions
• Provide variance analysis and narrative.
Donor Audits and Donor/Stakeholder Engagement
• Ensure that donor audits are properly scheduled and communicated in advance to the relevant staff including the Grants Director and Finance Director.
• Ensure proper planning of donor audits including the availability to the required documents and files prior to audits to minimize financial losses to MS as well as any damage to Marie Stopes reputation.
• Assist in preparing for Marie Stopes statutory audits particularly in the preparation of the necessary grants schedules with supporting documentations and reconciliation of all grants related accounts.
• Assist in preparing for donor engagement visits as required.
• Act as donor lead grants by participating in bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and bi-annual donor and MSI London Support Office teams meetings as required. Regular liaison with MSI Donor Reporting Team/project accountants.
Training and Capacity building
• Work with Finance to facilitate finance workshops to build the grants management capacity of MS staff and understanding of Marie Stopes’ finance policies and procedures as they relate to project Management.
• Lead project start up meetings, mid-term review meetings and end of grant closure meetings to share learning and increase finance understanding of the milestones vis a vis Marie Stopes funded projects.
• Support the embedding and use of MSI Project Cycle Management Guidelines to institutionalize grant management capacity.
Staff Management and Development
• Direct supervision of the Grants Manager and Officers by managing and strengthening his/her capacity to ensure a responsive and well-organized grants department. (when need arises)
New Business Development
• Work with Director of Grants to identify and successfully capitalise on funding opportunities with major funders of local and international sexual and reproductive health programming.
• Research and analyse donor calls for funding applications including tenders, expressions of interest and requests for proposals. This includes identifying funding opportunities– either as a prime or subcontractor.
• Develop and write successful, high quality funding proposals and budgets as agreed by the Country Management Team (CMT)
• Minimum five years’ work experience especially in private sector or NGO (essential)
• Demonstrable experience managing donor grants (essential)
• Demonstrated success in raising grant income from private philanthropic foundations and/or bi-lateral donors and building donor relationships (essential)
• Experience in writing donor reports for large grants, including narrative and results matrices (essential)
• Experience as a line manager including performance management (desirable)
• Experience in Marie Stopes systems and processes (desirable)
Qualifications, Training and Skills (essential/ desirable)
• Master’s degree in Public Health or related subject or equivalent proven employment experience (desirable)
• Excellent knowledge of the Ugandan health sector (essential)
• Knowledge of family planning and post abortion care (desirable)
• Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office package (essential)
• Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills (essential)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills (essential)
• Fluency in both written and spoken English, with exceptional presentation skills (essential)
• Training in project cycle management (desirable)
Successful performance at MS is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 13 key behaviours that MS encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
• Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
• Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
• Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
• Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
• Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
• Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
Team Member Behaviours
Work as One MS
• You contribute, use, and share accurate data and evidence to improve understanding, insight and decision-making across MS, enabling us to maximise our ability to influence others.
• You share relevant knowledge, expertise and resources to strengthen teamwork and prevent duplication of effort.
• You actively work as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures.
Show courage, authenticity and integrity
• You hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the behaviours you demonstrate.
• You are courageous in challenging others and taking appropriate managed risks.
Develop and grow
• You seek feedback to enable greater self-awareness and provide the same to others in a way which inspires them to be even more effective.
• You manage your career development including keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.
Deliver excellence, always
• You strive to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting clients at the centre of everything, and implement smarter, more efficient ways of performing your role.
• You build and maintain effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders, and are a true MS ambassador.
Leadership (For Leaders only)
• You inspire individuals and teams, through situational leadership, providing clear direction.
• You seek and provide opportunities which motivate team members, helping to develop skills and potential whilst strengthening our talent and succession pipeline.
• You are aware of emerging developments in our sector, demonstrating strategic insight about our clients and business and encourage this in your team.
• You articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
You are encouraged to apply for the above positions provided you meet the specified minimum job requirements.
For more details, please refer to the attached job descriptions.
To apply for the positions, Please visit the careers page on our website www.mariestopes.or.ug to submit your application.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, 21st October 2020.
NB: 1. MSUG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO SAFEGUARDING HUMANITY AND EXPECTS ALL POSITION HOLDERS TO SHARE THIS COMMITMENT.
2. MSUG HAS A WELL GUIDED AND TRANSPARENT RECRUITMENT PROCESS THAT REQUIRES NO PAYMENT FROM ANY CANDIDATE/JOB APPLICANTS/POTENTIAL JOB SEEKERS AS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENT.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.